The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermarket pump that does not 'hunt'?

+4
IanH
Paulmold
FreelanderUK
Rocky
8 posters

Go down

Aftermarket pump that does not 'hunt'? Empty Aftermarket pump that does not 'hunt'?

Post by Rocky Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:46 pm

Following on from the topic on the Shurflo pump going on/off when on low flow, has anyone fitted an aftermarket water pump that does not sound like a machine gun when turned on for a small flow?

Shurflow seems the most popular, but there is a more expensive Fiamma pump, and no doubt others.  Would be interested to hear of any that don't hunt when only turned on a little.

Thanks
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

brianf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket pump that does not 'hunt'? Empty Re: Aftermarket pump that does not 'hunt'?

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:49 pm

Fit a fiamma or whale surge damper this should sort out the pulsing of the pump

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Relaxez-Vous and glyne lock like this post

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket pump that does not 'hunt'? Empty Re: Aftermarket pump that does not 'hunt'?

Post by Paulmold Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:06 pm

My Duo has Flojet pump (fitted by AS at build). No pulsing but does continue for several seconds after taps turned off.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:12 pm

Paulmold wrote:My Duo has Flojet pump (fitted by AS at build). No pulsing but does continue for several seconds after taps turned off.

Paul - is that inside or outside the water tank?  Do they fit those now?

Thanks
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:20 pm

My Warwick Duo's had external pumps located by the Truma heater. Don't recall any noise issues at all
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:27 pm

Rocky wrote:

Paul - is that inside or outside the water tank?  Do they fit those now?

Thanks
It's inside next to truma combi. Not fitted by AS as they use submersible in tank.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:35 pm

Totally confused.

Your 2023 should have an in tank whale pump that is silent and gives a very smooth water flow.

Having had Shurflo and Flojet diaphragm pumps for nearly 20 years, the whale that we had since changing vans in November last is perfect. I am aware of the risk of running the pump in an empty tank causing it to fail and require a dropped tank to replace so if that happens, I've been careless.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:55 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Totally confused.

Your 2023 should have an in tank whale pump that is silent and gives a very smooth water flow.
Yes, that's correct Peter.  

However, the dealer, knowing that the in-tank pumps fail regularly and it's a b-gg-r of a job to change them, fits an external pump.  It's a 20psi Pentair Shurflo which is no doubt ultra reliable, but is like a machine gun on low flow - even after adjustment.  Hence my asking the question.

Hope you are no longer confused .....   up!
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:30 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm very happy with the Whale solution and have a friend who swapped to a diaphragm pump but quickly swopped back to Whale because of problems with pressure variations on his installation.

If you use the whale filler system you also have a spare pump with you as both pumps are the same.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparks Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:47 pm

I changed my Whale in-tank pump some time ago to a Shurflo Aquaking pump which is a 4 diaphragm pump and very quiet by comparison with the normal 3 diaphragm type, it is also adjustable if you do get any oscillation.
If you fit one of these it is not necessary to remove the in-tank pump, but it does works a bit better if you do.
I did remove mine and was amazed that Autosleeper had not fitted a stainless steel hose clip, it was absolutely solid with rust.
Sparks
Sparks

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:39 am

A flojet and the surge tank stops the problems been talked about [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:13 am

I ditched the expansion tank, after the bellow turned inside out and fitted a new bellow, but found it made not an iota of difference to my setup. One less thing to go wrong, others may disagree.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down