The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drive Away Awning

+2
Lorfal
BothyBob
6 posters

Go down

Drive Away Awning Empty Drive Away Awning

Post by BothyBob Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:06 pm

I am considering purchasing a Drive away awning for my Duetto but concerned that the sliding door will interfere with the awning wall. Should I be worried and any suggestion for a suitable awning.
BothyBob
BothyBob

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Drive Away Awning Empty Re: Drive Away Awning

Post by Lorfal Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:02 am

Morning! We use a vango kela drive away…..appreciate it’s used on a different van from yours, but we don’t get interference on any wall when opening sliding door. With these types of awning there is a joining section between the van and the actual awning. This gives a lot more space and it means the sliding door doesn’t come into contact with awning walls. What I do find though….is the roof of the joining section tends to be a bit ‘flappy’ in the wind and when sliding door is open full , the door corner does come into contact with the roof of joining section. Not worrryingly so.
 We just don’t open the door to its fullest.

The driveways come with joining sections in various sizes to suit the height of your van and method of attachment.  It can be attached to roof rails, thrown over the other side of van or the most popular…the wind out awning rail if you have one.

I certainly wouldn’t be without out ours now as it gives a great outdoor space for eating, cooking and we have had family sleeping in it when coming on a trip with us.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:10 am

I use a Outdoor Revolution cayman combo PC on our WXL, the tunnel width is 2.6m so this doesn’t allow the door to open fully, I have fitted a stop so it only opens half way , on top of the door I use a piece of foam pipe lagging to cover the corner of the door to protect the material

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:54 am

Does it need to be attached to the van? Day tents/utility tents can be used for storage or for sitting in , lot cheaper and no hitching back up to van after going out for the day . We used to use one with our Symphony, we don't bother now.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

orac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:50 pm

We have a Kampa Travel Pro and the sliding door of our Kingham does catch the tunnel, when it’s close to fully open. I tend to ease the fabric over the door corner, allowing the door to continue to fully open.

We’re not long back from a couple of weeks away and as the weather was dry, we didn’t attach the tunnel at all during the trip.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:48 pm

Paulmold wrote:Does it need to be attached to the van? Day tents/utility tents can be used for storage or for sitting in , lot cheaper and no hitching back up to van after going out for the day . We used to use one with our Symphony, we don't bother now.
I think I might be with Paul there. We had awnings for all our caravans, full or porch, and ended up rarely using them, but occasionally we have the grandchildren with us and need to accommodate them. It seems to me that a drive away awning is not a lot more in substance than a tent with connecting flaps, so the only advantage might be a weatherproof connection in bad weather. Am I right or do I need correcting?
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down