The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overall weight

+2
Caraman
Suf
6 posters

Go down

Overall weight Empty Overall weight

Post by Suf Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:28 pm

Hi Folks,

Van (Warwick duo) is now fully loaded , full tank of fuel etc ready for departure tomorrow, Calais ferry Saturday 0700.

Not done it before but out of curiosity we nipped to the local weigh bridge. FAW 1740, RAW 1600, total 3340 kg so well within our limit.

Any view on axle weight distribution or does it not really mater too much ?

Regards Geoff
Suf
Suf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2018

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Overall weight Empty Re: Overall weight

Post by Caraman Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:08 pm

As you have FWD I would say that's pretty good.  All you need to do now is feed the axle masses into TyreSafe's on-line calculator and you're ready to go:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:08 pm

Suf wrote:Hi Folks,

Van (Warwick duo) is now fully loaded , full tank of fuel etc ready for departure tomorrow, Calais ferry Saturday 0700.

Not done it before but out of curiosity we nipped to the local weigh bridge. FAW 1740, RAW 1600, total 3340 kg so well within our limit.

Any view on axle weight distribution or does it not really mater too much ?

Regards Geoff
Our Duo, loaded etc came in at F1820 R 1560, did you stay in the van, we had my wife, myself and 10kg dog on board.

So not much difference, was the bridge level? I have been told it matters as some are on a slope. I am just under 14st and wife is 10st so she tells me hugegrins

Richard

Last edited by rgermain on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double text)
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:16 am

The weigh bridge I use is on a slope, the operator has me turn the van around and drive back on to the scales to do the rear axel weight

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:47 am

All the weigh bridges I have seen are level and I am surprised that some are not.  The first weigh bridge I used was level but raised off the ground with ramps at each end which led to inaccurate axle readings.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:23 am

Caraman wrote:All the weigh bridges I have seen are level and I am surprised that some are not.  The first weigh bridge I used was level but raised off the ground with ramps at each end which led to inaccurate axle readings.

To look at the one I use you would think it level, but he assured me that there is a slight slope enough to have an effect on the readings of axel weights, it’s on a grain storage facility but open to the public so most weights are done on full wagons or tractor and trailers

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:55 am

FreelanderUK wrote:

To look at the one I use you would think it level, but he assured me that there is a slight slope enough to have an effect on the readings of axel weights, it’s on a grain storage facility but open to the public so most weights are done on full wagons or tractor and trailers
I think this is a problem with weigh bridges.  They are designed to measure the weight of a vehicle that is parked centrally on the bridge where a slope or ramp doesn't matter.  They are not designed to measure one axle which won't be central on the bridge and where slope does matter.  I suspect the way to do it is drive forward onto the weigh bridge and take 3 readings - FA mass, vehicle mass and RA mass - and then repeat the exercise in the other direction.  The actual axle masses will be the mean of the two axle readings which hopefully will add up to the vehicle mass which should be the same in both directions.

If the weigh bridge is level but has ramps you can probably get away by driving in one direction but the actual FA mass will be the mean of the FA reading and the vehicle mass minus the RA reading and the actual RA mass will be the mean of the RA reading and the vehicle mass minus the FA reading.  It's probably worth doing this whether the weigh bridge has ramps or not.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:48 pm

when you go on a weight bridge with a truck and the load is at the back of the trailer you get a correct load read out and the load is on one end of the weigh bridge .if the load worked out from and empty to loaded truck to be 20t on the paper work this would need to be correct to be NOTE BE legal .
so IF YOU READ what is being said by Caraman above the load needs in the middle of the weigh bridge is NOTE NOT CORRECT
WEIGH BRIDGES ARE TESTED TO BE LEGAL
so if I get pulled for a weight test in my truck and now it says I am over the vehicle max load but I say I tested and was ok but was not in the middle of the weigh bridge with the load when tested .will I get a fine and points still yes as I am over load limit
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:10 pm

I was repeating what the operator of my local weigh bridge told me. When tested for accuracy the load is central and not as is the case with the Nuevo with its front axle being less than 3 metres onto the weigh bridge and the rear axle being off it.  That said, it didn’t stop me getting the axle readings that I expected.  When I previously measured the masses on a weigh bridge with ramps, my front axle was about 100 kg less than I expected and my rear axle 100 kg more.  So there is some truth in that aspect of it.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Suf Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:05 pm

We were both in the van when it was weighed on the local council weigh bridge.
It looked flat to me, cost £12 for 3 measurements.
I went on the tyresafe Web site as suggested by caravan and discovered that the tyre pressures were too high (65 psi all round)
Now on 55 front, 50 rear with 255 cross agilis crossclimates, now a softer ride.
Thanks for all your comments.

Suf
Suf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2018

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:37 pm

Caraman wrote:I was repeating what the operator of my local weigh bridge told me. When tested for accuracy the load is central and not as is the case with the Nuevo with its front axle being less than 3 metres onto the weigh bridge and the rear axle being off it.  That said, it didn’t stop me getting the axle readings that I expected.  When I previously measured the masses on a weigh bridge with ramps, my front axle was about 100 kg less than I expected and my rear axle 100 kg more.  So there is some truth in that aspect of it.
Caraman
YOU CAN DO AS MUCH TALK AS YOU LIKE BUT TO ANY PERSON READING IT WHAT CARAMAN IS SAYING IS NOT CORRECT
if what caraman is saying was correct there would be lots of loads on trucks that people would not be getting the correct load as to what they have paid for and lots of fines
if people are going to put information on the forum it would help if it was correct as in what Caraman has said here will NOTE not help anybody
with the amount of times I have been on the weigh bridge to check my weight to make sure what the load is when over 44t as to the speed for the weight I am now with the load I was carrying. I cant position the truck central as has been said putting the load central as where is the central part of the load ? and I only just fit on as to the size of the truck and trailer at most weigh bridges
even if the local weigh bridge said what he did to Caraman unless you are 100% that it is true should not have been said here as is to no help to any person reading this on the forum
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:05 pm

Blimey Glyne, this is supposed to be a friendly Forum where anyone can express a view.  It's up to those who read it to decide if they want to go with that view.  When measuring my axle weights, both operators were very keen for the axle to be as far away from the edge of the weigh bridge as possible.  The second operator went further by giving the advice he did.  However, this may have been an excuse for him not to measure the loading across my axles by having both o/s or n/s wheels off the bridge.  He was a bit of a jobs worth and know all.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:30 am

glyne lock wrote:
Caraman
YOU CAN DO AS MUCH TALK AS YOU LIKE BUT TO ANY PERSON READING IT WHAT CARAMAN IS SAYING IS NOT CORRECT
if what caraman is saying was correct there would be lots of loads on trucks that people would not be getting the correct load as to what they have paid for and lots of fines

It seems you are misunderstanding what Caraman wrote.

If I'm reading what he wrote correctly, he is not saying that you will get different readings depending on where you are on the weighing platform. What he is referring to is the situation where only one axle is on the platform and the other is not (so you get the weight on that axle). In that situation, it will make a difference if there is a ramp up onto the weighing platform - the axle that you are weighing will be higher than the one that is not on the platform, and the weighbridge will under-read.

It doesn't matter when you are only trying to weigh the total weight of an entire vehicle - in that situation the weighbridges are corrected so that it doesn't matter where on the platform the load is situated. But that's not the situation that Caraman is describing.

I agree that this should be a Friendly Forum where it's Ok for people to be wrong and, if they are, where it's pointed out to them nicely.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:00 am

Caraman wrote:

I think this is a problem with weigh bridges.  They are designed to measure the weight of a vehicle that is parked centrally on the bridge 
Roopert
This clearly says parked centrally 
As you have said you can park at any position on the weigh bridge
There is normally a traffic light and on green you drive on up to the widow of the person operating and he then gives a ticket to you
As to a small vehicle or large that just fits on you park next to the operating persons window so a small vehicle may be at only one half but NOTE not in the middle as was clearly said
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:01 am

And yet surely you would have to agree that the context of what Caraman wrote was about measuring just the load on one axle, rather than both?

I'm not going to go any further with this, and I'm certainly not going to start a Caps Lock tirade. Perhaps enough has been said.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Paulmold, rgermain, Dave Gee and Slow-Lane like this post

Back to top Go down