The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plated weight

+4
Kingham
inspiredron
RML
gemdeco
8 posters

Go down

Plated weight Empty Plated weight

Post by Guest Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:45 pm

HI Folks

Just seen an article on another MH website, see below:-

If you have the licence (C1) it's better at 3650kg.
Better payload, though 90kg isn't much, and save a few quid on road tax.....£165 p.a.

So, it would seem that if my Duo was replated to 3650 I'd save quite a lot.
I have a C1 licence and won't be 70 until 2021

Any advice appreciated, and, also does anyone know how to go about replating? confused3 confused3

Many Thanks
Ian
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Plated weight Empty Plated Weight

Post by gemdeco Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi
  I do not know if it is something that you can do yourself,most people go through a company call SV Tech because if you increase the payload you have to be sure all components of your MH can take the extra weight,I do agree that to pay someone for a paperwork exercise goes against my principles
regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Plated weight Empty Re: Plated weight

Post by RML Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:59 pm

But, if you travel abroad you'll be excluded from many town and village centres and often restricted to 50kph and banned from overtaking on busy roads.  My van comes in 2 weights - 3.5 and 3.8t, ours is the former and because of the above I have no intention of up plating the weight. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:41 pm

And MUCH higher motorway tolls particularly in Austria and several others.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Your van is not a goods vehicle, so the 3500kg restrictions to many French villages does not apply to you as they clearly depict a goods vehicle.

The only weight restrictions which would apply are few and far between and they are the weight limit signs without a goods vehicle and which apply to all motor vehicles.

The same applies to the 'no overtaking' signs.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:44 pm

the main issue with 'increasing' your payload, is that you dont increase the allowances on either of the two axles...
before you do anything, weigh your van in full touring trim, fuel, water, passengers, clothes, bedding, bikes, tables, chairs, bbq etc, etc and not the axle weights, especially the rear one.
if (say) you have 100kg spare in that axle, and 100kg spare payload, adding 350kg of 'extra payload' (so, seemingly 450kg extra) wont help at all as the axle will max out after adding just 100kg and ypu will have up-plated (with all its restrictions) for nothing....well about £300...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 pm

bolero boy wrote:the main issue with 'increasing' your payload, is that you dont increase the allowances on either of the two axles...
before you do anything, weigh your van in full touring trim, fuel, water, passengers, clothes, bedding, bikes, tables, chairs, bbq etc, etc and not the axle weights, especially the rear one.
if (say) you have 100kg spare in that axle, and 100kg spare payload, adding 350kg of 'extra payload' (so, seemingly 450kg extra) wont help at all as the axle will max out after adding just 100kg and ypu will have up-plated (with all its restrictions) for nothing....well about £300...

I agree with the above, however; ....it appears that there is some confusion about the subject, I’m sure there have been many threads about the said axle weights after up plating, as far as I’m aware...axle allowance can be changed but you have to understand the process fully...

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium FB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Maybe I have caused some confusion!
My only reason to, perhaps, uprate the weight is to reduce the road tax. I have no need, or desire, to increase or use the resultant payload. We have weighed it several times and are always well within the current payload

Thanks to all
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Wargenwolf wrote:Your van is not a goods vehicle, so the 3500kg restrictions to many French villages does not apply to you as they clearly depict a goods vehicle.

The only weight restrictions which would apply are few and far between and they are the weight limit signs without a goods vehicle and which apply to all motor vehicles.

Forgive me for disagreeing with you. I'm currently touring France now and I'm surprised at the rising number of towns and villages applying this limit in total weight not just to trucks. Also there is often a speed differential for vehicles over 3.5t in many suburban areas and sometimes enforced by cameras. 
I stand by my comment. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Libraryman2 wrote:
 . . . as far as I’m aware...axle allowance can be changed but you have to understand the process fully...
You are quite correct Ray, on both counts.

We had the previous van uprated by SVTech from 3,300kg to 3,500kg.

At the time I was thinking of carrying a little 125cc Honda motorbike on a rear carrier. Messrs SVTech said they could up rate the rear axle by 100kg (which would have been just about enough) but only if I fitted Air Rides and higher rated rear tyres.

In the event we decided it was more sensible for what we wanted to have a toad, so didn't pursue it. There was no extra cost to SVTech b.t.w.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Libraryman2 wrote:
bolero boy wrote:the main issue with 'increasing' your payload, is that you dont increase the allowances on either of the two axles...

I agree with the above, however; ....it appears that there is some confusion about the subject, I’m sure there have been many threads about the said axle weights after up plating, as far as I’m aware...axle allowance can be changed but you have to understand the process fully...

Ray
I agree Ray, I gained 200kg allowance on my rear axle when I uprated last year.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:28 pm

IanH wrote:Maybe I have caused some confusion!
My only reason to, perhaps, uprate the weight is to reduce the road tax. I have no need, or desire, to increase or use the resultant payload. We have weighed it  several times and are always well within the current payload

Thanks to all

A cost of £300 is quoted above for the uprating. How many years to recoop that outlay? Are you intending to retain your C1 at age 70? If not you'll need to sell or downplate.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:34 pm

RML wrote:
Wargenwolf wrote:Your van is not a goods vehicle, so the 3500kg restrictions to many French villages does not apply to you as they clearly depict a goods vehicle.

Forgive me for disagreeing with you. I'm currently touring France now and I'm surprised at the rising number of towns and villages applying this limit in total weight not just to trucks. Also there is often a speed differential for vehicles over 3.5t in many suburban areas and sometimes enforced by cameras. 
I stand by my comment. 
Rich..
No problems Rich, 

If you're seeing an increase in the 'all vehicle' weight restrictions, I'm not going to argue as you're 100% correct that they apply to motorhomes over 3500kg. 

I have never seen an 'all vehicle' weight restriction preventing overtaking out on the highways, they always applied to goods vehicles, but I haven't covered every inch of France and they may also be on the increase.

I've not been back to France since summer 2015 and the vast majority of the restrictions around the villages where I was touring had pictures of goods vehicles, which don't apply to motorhomes over 3500kg.

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm in my 10th year of driving vans over 3500 in Europe. It is not so free and easy as it was, I have been fined for not complying with the law and the next van will be 3500 irrespective of our ages.  If stay in UK not such a problem.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:31 pm

OK ALL

Thanks for all inputs. I'll put this daft idea to bed now!
However, if you don't ask, you don't get!

Bw
Ian wave
Anonymous

Back to top Go down