The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pink flush not working on Thetford toilet

+7
glyne lock
groundhog
bikeralw
Tinwheeler
Paulmold
IanH
GWR
11 posters

Go down

Pink flush not working on Thetford toilet Empty Pink flush not working on Thetford toilet

Post by GWR Fri May 26, 2023 8:19 am

The flush water level indicator tube on our recently bought 2008 Symbol had black mould in it so I drained the old flush water and fitted new kit. ( our van had apparently been sitting unused for some time before we got it)
Refilled with new clean pink water.
Pump works ok but no water coming through to flush the bowl. 
Did have one brief rush of water, preceded by small black lump ( mould ?) but now stopped again.
Suspect pump blocked by bits of mould but no idea how to get to it ?
Could I add bleach or similar to dissolve mould in the system and free up pump ?
GWR
GWR

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Pink flush not working on Thetford toilet Empty Re: Pink flush not working on Thetford toilet

Post by IanH Fri May 26, 2023 8:55 am

If you pull down the sight glass tube it'll come away from its rubber top bung. It has a flex connector on the bottom allowing it to point down rather than up.
Drain this into a bucket, it kills grass very well.
This will drain the flush tank and should be done at least over winter to avoid freezing.
Once drained , replace pipe and refill just water. Repeat above.
Black gunge is a by product of pink flush imho.

If that fails, connect a garden hose to the sight glass tube and force water into the tank that way, not much and not too violently, then drain that.

Other than that its going to be a chemical solution, others may know which is best, wouldn't guess at bleach.....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Pink flush not working on Thetford toilet Empty Re: Pink flush not working on Thetford toilet

Post by Paulmold Fri May 26, 2023 9:10 am

If you want to remove pump for cleaning or replacement see this YouTube video...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      there are several others.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri May 26, 2023 9:13 am

I would avoid the pink fluid like the plague. It’s my opinion as well that it’s the cause of the black algae problem.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

frederic, bikeralw, Slow-Lane, IanH and orac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri May 26, 2023 9:34 am

Fresh water only in the flush once you've got it working, with maybe a tiny amount of bio washing liquid. Some say it aids slipperiness..
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR Fri May 26, 2023 9:45 am

Thanks everyone, all good stuff, agree about pink fluid (we don’t put it in our home toilets !) , video about pump replacement particularly helpful, I can now get pump and pipe out to see what state it’s in.
GWR
GWR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri May 26, 2023 9:49 am

Stopped using pink flush for exactly the same reason, black mould.
We use plain water and add a few drops of a product called Thieves essential oil, it isn't cheap but management tells me it makes the toilet smell clean and fresh.
I wouldn't know as I have no sense of smell at all and never have had.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri May 26, 2023 9:53 am

some campers feed the water from the main tank and not the toilets own tank .then you use a spray bottle for the pink fluid that I think works much better
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Gee Fri May 26, 2023 9:56 am

Same here.  Pink flush was in the old van and there were black bits coming out every time we flushed.  Now just use plain water for the flush and green stuff in the cassette - which reminds me, I need to get more of the green stuff as I used the last of it on our last trip......
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri May 26, 2023 10:05 am

Now only use washing machine sachet thingies in the cludgie tank.....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Dave Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Fri May 26, 2023 10:10 am

IanH wrote:Now only use washing machine sachet thingies in the cludgie tank.....
So do we, supermarket own label, bio tabs. Work a treat and much cheaper than blue or green. Do carry a small bottle of green in case we land on a cl that insists on green fluid. Have made up spray bottles of both pink and Zoflora, and use happy bowl liners if needs must.

Who would have thought cludgie would lead to so many discussions and options winks

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR Fri May 26, 2023 1:25 pm

Wow, a toilet flush masterclass !

Seriously, many thanks for all the above particularly the video on how to get in and check pump. have just followed that and found pump had somehow become dislodged and wasn`t actually in the water. No sign of black algae in pump but flushed it, replaced it under water and bingo, a flushing toilet again. 

Couldn`t immediately see the clear water against the white toilet - maybe that`s all the pink stuff is for ?
GWR
GWR

Male

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri May 26, 2023 2:31 pm

Kingswinford Specsavers? hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR Fri May 26, 2023 4:50 pm

Pink flush not working on Thetford toilet 1f602  Pink flush not working on Thetford toilet 1f602  Pink flush not working on Thetford toilet 1f602
GWR
GWR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Fri May 26, 2023 5:13 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:I would avoid the pink fluid like the plague. It’s my opinion as well that it’s the cause of the black algae problem.
That pink fluid is the work of the Devil.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri May 26, 2023 5:41 pm

I have never had the black bits problem despite using pink for years except this year I didn't drain after a trip as I usually do, so leaving the pink in the tank created the bits every time flushed on our next trip. Drained it out but it seemed to struggle to drain through the sight glass, so I blew hard on the tube and felt an obstruction suddenly give way,  the next flush produced a huge amount of black, so lesson  learnt, drain after each trip. No problem since.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sat May 27, 2023 1:21 pm

We've used the pink stuff from Aldi right from when we got the van 8 years ago, but no more0. I drain the flush tank every trip, even between one site and another. We occasionally had some black bits but at the start of this year I had to get stuck in after a blown fuse led me to believe the impeller was jammed. It was well and truly stuck but the amount of gunge in the flush tank surprised me. It took some time to scoop it all out.beford freeing the impeller.

What struck me was, having seen inside the tank, using the drain plug at the cassette and pumping until nothing comes out there is always some residual water left in the tank.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down