The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plastic side panels on windows.

3 posters

Go down

Plastic side panels on windows. Empty Plastic side panels on windows.

Post by Graham-R Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:37 pm

Hi,
Today I noticed one of the black window covers/side panels on our Topaz had dropped off in the recent bad weather. Some kind soul had pushed it under the van, but the plywood mounts it was screwed to are pretty rotten.

I'm thinking of getting the glass vinyl wrapped rather than replacing the rotten ply, but either way, I was wondering if anyone had experience of removing the plywood from the glass? It's presumably bonded with something pretty resiliant (it was too cold and wet to do much investigation today) and I don't want to break the windows. Has anyone done this?

Cheers,
Graham.
Graham-R
Graham-R

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Plastic side panels on windows. Empty Re: Plastic side panels on windows.

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:21 pm

Have a read od this thread....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Graham-R likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham-R Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:29 pm

Thanks Paul, I saw that thread, but there's no mention of how to get the rotten ply off the glass. It would have been nice to see some photos of the finished job.

Our local signwriters will vinyl-wrap glass. I'm hoping thay might take the glass out and put the vinyl on the inside where it can't get scratched off, but I'll have to go down and ask them.

Cheers,
Graham.
Graham-R
Graham-R

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Grabea Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:06 am

I'm in the process of repairing the nearside panel on our Duetto but there's no window underneath just a glass fibre blank where a window would have been, a previous owner must have had an argument with something solid requiring a replacement side door and rear quarter, not done very well I might add, so I'm trying to improve on the repair of the broken panel to smarten up the old girl. These panels are made of unobtainium as I got the last of the smaller panels from AS on a recent visit!
Graham
Grabea
Grabea

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham-R Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:21 pm

So, the first window had three strips of marine ply which was stuck to the glass with mastic. This scraped off fairly easily with a wallpaper scraper. So far so good.

When I removed the second panel, I discovered that the previous owner had experienced the same problem, so had replaced the three strips of ply with an entire window sized piece of ply, which was stuck to the glass with industrial quantities of silicone bathroom sealant.

I've managed to get it off the glass, but it's on the paintwork surrounding the window (so can't use metal scrapers there) and it's also stuck to the rubber seal around the glass.

There is a chemical available for removing hardened silicone from the shower cubicles... but will it dissolve the window seal as well?

Graham-R
Graham-R

Male

Back to top Go down