The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is under the rear side plastic panels?

5 posters

Go down

What is under the rear side plastic panels? Empty What is under the rear side plastic panels?

Post by JerseyTrophy Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:58 am

I have a Trophy although I imagine that a topaz has similar trim. Is anyone able to tell me what is underneath all that trim? Also I was wondering if I would be able to fit standard VW T4 side panel windows and tailgate onto my trophy and remove those plastic trim panels?
JerseyTrophy
JerseyTrophy

Male

Member Age : 40
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy

Back to top Go down

What is under the rear side plastic panels? Empty Re: What is under the rear side plastic panels?

Post by mikejack Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:01 pm

Is it just glass behind the plastic ?https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t10050-urgent-advice-needed-re-off-side-window-vwt4

Mike
mikejack
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

What is under the rear side plastic panels? Empty Re: What is under the rear side plastic panels?

Post by JerseyTrophy Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Im not sure, on the passenger side it looks like it could be just a panel van window with the panel covering it, other side it is caravan style window and I think the plastic panel acts like a seal. I'm curious as I think I would like to ditch them and just have limo tinted panel windows instead. 
JerseyTrophy
JerseyTrophy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:37 pm

I don't know the Trophy at all well, but it seems obvious (to me at least) from Googled photos that the panels are there so that you can't see the backs of the cupboards inside, and the back (or inside) of the rear storage compartment, and also provides privacy for the toilet/shower compartment.

If you don't care about any of that being visible through your limo tint (it will be in bright sunshine) then I guess there's nothing to stop you. I would imagine it will look unfinished and odd - which is probably the reason why AS fitted the panels in the first place - and would harm the resale value, but that may not be something that worries you.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveSedge Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:11 pm

On my trooper there is a glass window under the side panel, I have taken the panel off and the window is covered on the inside with the grey lining carpet so you still cant see in.
DaveSedge
DaveSedge

Male

Member Age : 63

Back to top Go down

Post by JerseyTrophy Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:21 am

DaveSedge you are right, had a quick peak, looks like the wooden battens are a bit rotten. Adding that to the list of jobs!
JerseyTrophy
JerseyTrophy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveSedge Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:04 pm

I removed mine, cleaned back the glass and just left it off. Looks more modern in my opinion but saved to fit back if we should trade up.
DaveSedge
DaveSedge

Male

Member Age : 63

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotwells Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Our Trooper's side panel is all cracked up (like that when we bought it). If anyone has a rear panel for a VW T4 they don't want could we buy it off you, please? Or: whats the best way of repairing the cracked plastic?
Hotwells
Hotwells

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Inca
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down