The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TOPAZ - looking for black plastic side panel

+3
kenste94
-mojo-
ssjohnl
7 posters

Go down

TOPAZ - looking for black plastic side panel Empty TOPAZ - looking for black plastic side panel

Post by ssjohnl Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:53 am

I read the other day about these panels falling off when someone was asking about T4 Topaz problems.
As I was doing about 60mph on the M5 the other day, my driver's side panel started to come away! The screws at the front end had come adrift - they'd clearly been rescrewed in before. Anyway, the front end obviously caught a gust of wind and the panel bent back around the middle and was flapping in the wind. I managed to stop on the hard shoulder and screw it back temporarily until the next exit where I could stop and do a better job. However, the panel now has a crack just above the window aperture and again just below it. Autosleepers tell me this panel is now obsolete and advise repairing the crack with araldite.
Does anyone out there know of a spare driver's side panel for sale?
I'd advise other ownews to check the 3 front fixing screws which fix into a wooden baton - I will definitely be adding a couple more screws when I refit the repaired/replacement panel as it's easy to drill a couple of new holes in the panel.

John

Last edited by ssjohnl on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : retitled)
ssjohnl
ssjohnl

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

TOPAZ - looking for black plastic side panel Empty Re: TOPAZ - looking for black plastic side panel

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:28 pm

John
Sorry to hear of your side panel problem. It maybe difficult to source a replacment. The last of the T4 Topaz models were built 2003/2004 and I think they A/S starting making them around 1994. I've yet to find any caravan breakers holding motorhome specific parts, although a few do say they break motorhomes. However you would think that some motorhomes may sadly be involved in insurance 'write-offs' but I'm not sure where the graveyard is. You could try contacts like Oleary motorhomes to see if they couild advise.

Good luck
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

TOPAZ - looking for black plastic side panel Empty Re: TOPAZ - looking for black plastic side panel

Post by -mojo- Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:09 pm

People do odd things, but it's hard to think of a circumstance in which someone would choose to have a spare panel in storage "just in case"! I'd be looking to find a written off Topaz at a breakers, though you may have to wait a while.

If you choose the repair option and there is space for filler behind the crack, I would seriously consider using black sikaflex/purflex or equivalent - it's an excellent flexible adhesive/filler and will match the black plastic better than araldite will.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Incidentally I just noticed (looking for something else) that the Caravan Club has a document on their website with the details of around 30 companies around the country that either provide spares or break camper vans/caravans. I can't post it here as it's in the Members download section.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

TOPAZ - looking for black plastic side panel Empty Topaz side panels

Post by kenste94 Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:52 am

Hi, although it's been a while since this thread was live I wish I had seen it. I removed the nearside panel on my Topaz to see where all the black gunge was coming from when washing it. It turned out to be the wood spacers behind the panel. I cleaned them up and refitted the panel but some of the screws were not getting a good grip. Travelling accross the A66 on a widy day has cured the problem, my panel is now probably somewhere around Leeds. Does anyone know of spare panels for sale or where I might find one. Thanks, Ken.
kenste94
kenste94

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2000 Topaz 2.5tdi au

Back to top Go down

Post by johnalderton Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:57 pm

Lost my nearside black panel from my Topaz today somewhere along the A12 between Colchester and Ipswich. Reading all the above it seems unlikely I will be able to replace it.
johnalderton
johnalderton

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:07 pm

Try cheltonham Laminates     tel....01452 713098

They made the bumpers for the monocoque`s also probably the side panels you are looking for.

Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by shargrea Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:54 am

I do not have this problem (yet), but what is behind these panels ?
I'm guessing that the panels are screwed to wooden strips, which are glued(?) to the original window glass ?
shargrea
shargrea

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:27 am

Windows

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:51 am

An alternative company worth asking is this one that makes caravan panels using your old one to make a mould...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down