The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Location of change over relay on Topaz

3 posters

Go down

Location of change over relay on Topaz Empty Location of change over relay on Topaz

Post by Cityburger Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:32 pm

Hi, I have a 2007 model Topaz and have a problem with voltage readings between the leisure battery and the main control panel for water pump, lights.
I have had an auto electrician look at it and the battery is fully charged and producing 12v, but the control panel reading is only registering max of 6v, so the pump and lights are not working (though work ok when on hook up). the electrician thinks the issue is probably in the change over relay (see circled part of attached wiring diagram), but I am not sure where this is located.
Does anyone know where this is located on the 2007 model, and how to get to it?
Any advice gratefully received.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cityburger
Cityburger

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Location of change over relay on Topaz Empty Re: Location of change over relay on Topaz

Post by Roopert Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:24 pm

Frederic should be able to confirm, as he has the same model and similar year, but I ~think~ this part of a Topaz is the same as a Trooper. If that's correct, the two fuses and relay should be under the battery cover at the right hand end of the engine bay, attached to the back of the bonnet slam panel.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Location of change over relay on Topaz Empty Re: Location of change over relay on Topaz

Post by frederic Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:49 pm

Yes I think you are right. I have electrolubed the fuse contacts but don't think  I removed the relays, only applied the lube to the spade ends the relays were in tight and care needed to remove them using a non conducting lever/wedge mine were working fine so left well alone
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Roopert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cityburger Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:24 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will check those fuses 👍
Cityburger
Cityburger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cityburger Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:30 pm

Managed to find the issue. One of the relays was kaput, so replaced it and all is now working again.
Thanks for your help Roopert and Frederic
Cityburger
Cityburger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:17 pm

That's what it's all about now I need to find out how to  change out the high level tailgate brake light!!
Quality suppliers recommendations  welcomed.

frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:27 pm

If my experience is anything to go by, there are really only two types - the cheap Chinese copies available on Ebay for about £12, or the VW originals from a dealer or TPS (which if you're not aware is the VW owned VAG parts supplier to the trade). Last time I looked the originals were ~£30.

The copies are not fantastic, but workable. The one that I bought had rather pronounced moulding ridges, and I had to trim down a bit, but I think it's been on around 4 years and still working Ok. I re-used the original seal, as it was better quality than the one on the copy.

The two fixing screws are inside - probably under the interior trim on a Topaz.

Be warned - there is one error that you can make that is really annoying. If you push too hard on the fixing screw as you fix the new one, you can displace the spring clip on the inside, and the screw then just turns without tightening! As I found out the hard way, it's not very easy to fix if you do that...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Steve&Veronique likes this post

Back to top Go down