The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AS Fairford heater Problem

5 posters

Go down

AS Fairford heater Problem Empty AS Fairford heater Problem

Post by Cashy1360 Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:03 am

HELP! 
I've got an AS Fairford (21 reg) with a whale heating system, there is a new 100 amp gel battery.
When the heater is on it is continuously using between 5 & 7 amps and the heating is only lasting 7 or 8 hours (off grid) . Is this normal or should the amps be lower once the heater has warmed up?
This is my 4th motorhome and the previous ones all had trauma heating systems and lasted for at least 3 days off grid.
TIA. Keith.
P. S. Any opinions on diesel heaters, do they use less amperage, are they better than the whale system?
Cashy1360
Cashy1360

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

AS Fairford heater Problem Empty Re: AS Fairford heater Problem

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:14 am

5 to 7 amps seems excessive. According to Whale 2.5 amps on gas is max.

"Battery Supply
Nominal voltage: 12V d.c.
Operating range: 10.0V d.c. min. to 15V d.c. max.
Maximum current d.c. gas operation: 2.5 Amps (0.01Amps on standby)
Maximum current d.c. electric operation: 2.2 Amps (0.01Amps on standby)"

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Cashy1360 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by timsurf2021 Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:56 am

I got fed up with the noise and poor performance of the Whale system in our Kingham compared with the Truma in our previous van. After a frosty night noisy cold night it came out and in went a Truma 6E, what a difference!! We tried to get the Truma instead of the whale and even had a meeting at the factory but they refused saying it performed better in the cold chamber. After our first outing in the new van I removed the hot air outlet from the whale heater and checked the temperature then checked the 3 outlets in the van. A good 20 degrees heat loss with an outside temperature of 12 degrees, I improved it a bit by lagging all the ducting but still little heat at the front of the van. I also thought the whale was taking a lot out of the battery but never checked it, also had several lock outs. Had a diesel heater in a previous van and did consider the Truma D Combi due to the lack of LPG stations but they take a lot of amps to ignite the diesel  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
timsurf2021
timsurf2021

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

AutoSleepy_Don and Cashy1360 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:18 am

My Fairford has Whale heating. Whilst it gives reasonable heat, it’s all at the back of the van. The front vent heat is pitiful. Having had Truma before, the Whale heater just doesn’t compare. I find the water heater faster though. 

Last month I had an autoterm 4kw diesel heater installed, and there is no comparison. The heat is amazing!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashy1360 Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:22 pm

Hi all, the vehicle went back to B.C. Motorhomes and they couldn't find any faults. They stated that the lithium LiPo battery will only charge to 80% due to the smart alternator, but will charge to 100% on a mains charge, they suggested having an upgrade to the system (DC to DC  charger fitted) which allows a greater charge to the battery from the alternator.  Had this fitted at Autosleepers in the Cotswold [I live in Scotland] So far, touch wood, this seems to have fixed the problem. The QUESTION is, Why doesn't autosleeper fit these at the production stage? It's like fitting the sink without the waste plumbing, yes it's usable but not ideal or really fit for purpose.  Thanks for your help everyone, happy motoring.
Cashy1360
Cashy1360

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:28 pm

Cashy1360 wrote:Hi all, the vehicle went back to B.C. Motorhomes and they couldn't find any faults. They stated that the lithium LiPo battery will only charge to 80% due to the smart alternator, but will charge to 100% on a mains charge, they suggested having an upgrade to the system (DC to DC  charger fitted) which allows a greater charge to the battery from the alternator.  Had this fitted at Autosleepers in the Cotswold [I live in Scotland] So far, touch wood, this seems to have fixed the problem. The QUESTION is, Why doesn't autosleeper fit these at the production stage? It's like fitting the sink without the waste plumbing, yes it's usable but not ideal or really fit for purpose.  Thanks for your help everyone, happy motoring.
B2Bs (or DC-to-DC) are well worth the money. I had 2x 30a Victron B2Bs installed when I added lithium. Overkills perhaps, but the battery charges so quickly
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:45 pm

Cashy1360 wrote:They stated that the lithium LiPo battery will only charge to 80% due to the smart alternator

I have the idea that AS fit B2B on vans with smart alternators i.e. the auto Fiats. (I'm not certain though)

Are you certain that your van has a smart alternator?
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:46 pm

Hi cashy 1362, I think we were there when you were and had the same b2b fitted as the leisure (lithium) wasn't charging, since fitting it has been fine and I agree, should we be charged another £300 for something that should have been fitted to a very expensive van in the first place.

Clearly not fit for purpose.

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashy1360 Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:14 pm

Hi AS Don, the dealer stated it was a smart alternator, it's a Fiat  on a 21 plate, and things are better since the  box was fitted.
Cashy1360
Cashy1360

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:31 pm

breakaleg wrote:
Clearly not fit for purpose.

B2B has always been superior to SCR but you could get by, and save money, with a SCR in the era of regular alternators.

If AS are still fitting SCR to vans with smart alternators then they are indeed not fit for purpose. I'm disappointed in AS. hairdryer
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashy1360 Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:42 pm

AS Don, I'm not up on these. What is a B2B and a SCR? I was told I had a DC to DC fitted, whatever it is it works.
Cashy1360
Cashy1360

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:46 pm

Cashy1360 wrote:AS Don, I'm not up on these. What is a B2B and a SCR? I was told I had a DC to DC fitted, whatever it is it works.

B2B is the common name for a DC to DC charger (i.e. Battery to Battery)
SCR is Split Charge Relay

So it seems AS have supplied your van with SCR and you have upgraded that SCR to a B2B. I think AS should be supplying new vans with B2B.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

breakaleg and Cashy1360 like this post

Back to top Go down