The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off grid Charging Laptop and Microwave

3 posters

Go down

Off grid Charging Laptop and Microwave Empty Off grid Charging Laptop and Microwave

Post by Baggiecamper Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:11 am

I've been thinking about my 240V power requirements when off grid next year 
I could install an inverter or maybe try and manage with 12 volt only by using spare laptop battery etc

Main item for me is charging my Bosh ebike battery .
Anyone used a low power inverter with the Bosch mains charger and what power rating inverter would do this?
This is the mains charger label
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The alternative is an inverter installation to enable powering of the microwave and other items too.
I think 1500W is necessary for an 800W microwave. Can anyone confirm or disagree?

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Off grid Charging Laptop and Microwave Empty Re: Off grid Charging Laptop and Microwave

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:25 am

Ask here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have bought 12v mobility scooter chargers from them that we can  use from the cig lighter socket, good price and excellent service, they may be able to supply a charger for your battery

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Off grid Charging Laptop and Microwave Empty Re: Off grid Charging Laptop and Microwave

Post by IanH Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:58 am

Or just use the inverter when driving, then the LB won't care or see the load, the vehicle alternator will.
Microwave in our Warwick was used for bread storage!!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:15 am

FreelanderUK wrote:Ask here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have bought 12v mobility scooter chargers from them that we can  use from the cig lighter socket, good price and excellent service, they may be able to supply a charger for your battery
Thanks Chris. 
I rang them and they guided me through their web site to this item for a Bosch ebike battery charger
£99.60
The same item is listed by them £9.70 cheaper on eBay:

This is half way to buying an inverter but I would say more efficient use of power  scratch head

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:17 am

IanH wrote:Or just use the inverter when driving, then the LB won't care or see the load, the vehicle alternator will.
Microwave in our Warwick was used for bread storage!!!
Ian is that possible because you have upgraded with a B2B?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:07 pm

No B2B but our 300w inverter is connected directly to the LB via an inline fuse, the alternator then feeds extra charge to the LB.
At 200w from it and 85% efficiency it'll be using about 16Amps but only when in use.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:19 pm

Baggiecamper wrote:
FreelanderUK wrote:Ask here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have bought 12v mobility scooter chargers from them that we can  use from the cig lighter socket, good price and excellent service, they may be able to supply a charger for your battery
Thanks Chris. 
I rang them and they guided me through their web site to this item for a Bosch ebike battery charger
£99.60
The same item is listed by them £9.70 cheaper on eBay:

This is half way to buying an inverter but I would say more efficient use of power  scratch head

It’s more efficient with the 12v than inverter, I installed a separate 12v 10amp lighter socket so I can charge whilst driving and I also pass the charger out of the back doors so I can charge straight to the scooter

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down