The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improving off grid

3 posters

Go down

Improving off grid Empty Improving off grid

Post by Bill Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:07 pm

I have a 2017 Symbol fitted with the factory leisure battery and 80W solar panel which I would like to improve.  I intend to fit an additional solar or upgrade the original one depending what space will permit and fit 2 X 100 Amphr lead acid batteries.  Will I have to upgrade the controller ?  Will the gauges/meters on the Sargant control panel still work ?  Bill.
Bill
Bill

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Improving off grid Empty Re: Improving off grid

Post by Dbvwt Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:05 pm

Bill, to begin with I would spend your money on a second 80w panel and a decent dual controller. You will probably find that a second leisure battery is not required although I don’t know your usage.
I fitted the panel in the link last winter (it fits perfectly in the space at the back of the Symbol roof) and a Votronic controller a couple of years ago wired direct to the leisure and vehicle batteries bypassing the Sargent EC500. You will still get the voltages on the EC480 control panel but not the solar charge.
IMO this would be the best upgrade on the stock install without spending daft money.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Improving off grid Empty Re: Improving off grid

Post by rgermain Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:42 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Bill, to begin with I would spend your money on a second 80w panel and a decent dual controller. You will probably find that a second leisure battery is not required although I don’t know your usage.
I fitted the panel in the link last winter (it fits perfectly in the space at the back of the Symbol roof) and a Votronic controller a couple of years ago wired direct to the leisure and vehicle batteries bypassing the Sargent EC500. You will still get the voltages on the EC480 control panel but not the solar charge.
IMO this would be the best upgrade on the stock install without spending daft money.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hi David, Totally agree, although my van did not come with a solar panel so fitted a 120w and as you say bypass the energy sapping Sargent.

Not needed ehu since fitting 2 years ago and only 1 100a lead acid battery. 
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Bill, MelB, Dbvwt and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down