The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Drive air suspension on new vans

+3
Bendog
v8oholic
pootler
7 posters

Go down

Top Drive air suspension on new vans Empty Top Drive air suspension on new vans

Post by pootler Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:47 am

I am in the process of changing my leaking Alko Air Top suspension system for a Top Drive basic system which has no compressor. I was wondering whether the new AS vans have a compressor fitted or is it the same as mine where I check the gauges and inflate when necessary.
Indeed has anyone anything good or bad to say about the Top Drive system?
Thanks.
pootler
pootler

Auto-Sleeper Model : sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Top Drive air suspension on new vans Empty Re: Top Drive air suspension on new vans

Post by v8oholic Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:35 pm

No compressor on my Symbol - just gauges and inflation valves mounted at the base of the passenger seat. This is what Top Drive call the "standard inflation system", as opposed to their optional "compressor inflation system". It slowly depressurises over time, so topping up is occasionally necessary, e.g. every couple of months both sides will have dropped a fraction of a bar.

I doubt it's really worth having the compressor unless you're constantly changing the pressure. I set mine at 4 bar and leave it there, topping it up every now and then. If set correctly before leaving home, on a one month trip it doesn't need any attention.

The only thing I would say is that where they have mounted the gauge and valve unit, it's quite hard to get a pump connected to one of the valves due to proximity with the B pillar. One of my compressors wouldn't work at all, the other one is more flexible and does go on, albeit fiddly getting it off without losing too much pressure.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Top Drive air suspension on new vans Empty Re: Top Drive air suspension on new vans

Post by pootler Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:01 pm

Thanks. 
I use a bicycle track pump or sometimes just a compact bicycle pump. The track pump is dead easy to use, but it does take up more space.
pootler
pootler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bendog Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:46 am

Our 21 plate Symbol auto.has got the gauges mounted on the right hand side of the dashboard, only just get the caps off and compressor connected, I run ours at 2 bar and that makes the van sit nose down.
Bendog
Bendog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:11 am

Bendog wrote:Our 21 plate Symbol auto.has got the gauges mounted on the right hand side of the dashboard, only just get the caps off and compressor connected, I run ours at 2 bar and that makes the van sit nose down.
All the Sevel vans sit nose down, with or without air suspension. It's the way they're built.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gjfielding Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:54 pm

The rear valve is difficult to access but a right angle tyre valve adapter from eBay solves the problem for £6 including postage.
gjfielding
gjfielding

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:59 pm

I don’t see the need for compressor unless you wish to frequently change psi, which I also don’t see the need to do. Mine very rarely need topping up which I do with compact bicycle pump which I have fitted to tool box under passenger seat with holder supplied with it.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Kdc on Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change text)
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Millie The Moocher, tboy and Sally like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:08 am

gjfielding wrote:The rear valve is difficult to access but a right angle tyre valve adapter from eBay solves the problem for £6 including postage.
I’ve been through 2 of those already (from Halfords) and both failed on the second or third use.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gjfielding Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:16 am

I have them fitted to my motorcycle for years without any problems.
gjfielding
gjfielding

Male

Back to top Go down

Top Drive air suspension on new vans Empty Air Top Experience

Post by Kyanpinguka Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:08 am

I bought my now two year old Symbol from dealer's stock as I wanted a 5.4 metre van quickly.  It came with all sorts of bits and pieces including the standard Air Top suspension.  I've often wondered whether all these served any sort of useful purpose, but after recent experience am definitely sold on air assistance for the rear suspension.  
During a trip to the North of Scotland realised that the van was leaning to one side, checked the gauges and found that the nearside air was down to near zero.  Applied the weedy cheap and not very cheerful AA branded electric compressor that I'd bought from Amazon two years before, and it promptly fell to pieces.  Phoned to the helpful folk as AS service department and the supplying dealer both of whom told me it was most certainly a leak, most likely a pipe come loose, but crawling around under the van found all firmly in place.  They suggest that I let all the air out of the offside so as to level up the van.  Did that, and so drove back to Yorkshire effectively without air assistance to the suspension.  It really was a very much rougher ride, with the rear suspension banging and crashing in a way not experienced before.  So definitely sold on Air Top.
I realised the issue while driving back, and once home cured it easily in an instant.  The valve in the air inlet had come loose.  Now carry a valve tool in the van.  Also replaced the insubstantial AA compressor with a more stalwart two cylinder 12 volt pump from Amazon, which includes a longish power cable and very long air hose - and glad that I did.  Apart from pumping up the suspension really quickly and easily it's also well up to the task of inflating the van tyres, and giving them a boost for winter storage (as well as making short work of the tyres on other motors).
I've also found that there's less need to use levelling blocks. On a surprising number of pitches progressively deflating the Air Top units is an easy way to level the van, secure in the knowledge that the powerful pump will reinflate the suspension in a trice.
Kyanpinguka
Kyanpinguka

Male

Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by pootler Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:52 am

Bit the bullet and had a new Top Drive basic system fitted by Towtal in Stoke. The one without a compressor, replacing the Alko Air Top system fitted by AS.  My wife says that I was very brave and didn't cry at all when I paid for it!! All seems well at the moment. I do have a question on pressure to set. With the Alko system I set it at 2.3 and all seemed well. Towtal set the Top Drive at 3.2 which seems quite high. Looking at the Italian website I cannot seem to find any recommendations. The AS handbook for new Warwick's suggests checking the web site, so round in circles I go again. What pressures do others use the Top Drive system at?
pootler
pootler

Back to top Go down