The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awning attachment to Talent /Trident

3 posters

Go down

Awning attachment to Talent /Trident Empty Awning attachment to Talent /Trident

Post by MRGDave Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:24 pm

I would like to change from a tailgate awning to a side awning.

I have a VW T4 based Talent which has the same high roof design as the T4 Trident.

I don’t want to fit a rail to the side of the fibreglass roof because of the likelihood for future leaks through the attaching rivet or screw holes. Nor do I want to glue a rail to the van.

So has anyone please got any experience of what works using the vans original plastic gutter channel?  The pole and clamp kits I have seen don’t work because the pole is too wide a diameter and the clamps are the wrong design/ too chunky.

Help and guidance gratefully received.

PS I am thinking about buying a Vango Cove or Kela low awning
MRGDave
MRGDave

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Talent
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Awning attachment to Talent /Trident Empty Re: Awning attachment to Talent /Trident

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:43 pm

I have a wife of many years who loves our T4 Trident.
Anyway.............she decides she would like an awning to slide into the 4mm trough of the Fiamma awning which is 240cm long.
To find one at a sensible price and one that fits and looks good was a challenge..........however, we found a company called TENTHIRE LTD of Edward street, Birchalls, Walsall. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to see what deals they had.
We purchased a SUNNCAMP Swift Verao 260 awning.
The attachment to the van is simple, the awning has a beaded edging that simply slides into the trough of the Fiamma awning where you can slide hooks etc into if you want as an option when you don't need the awning up.
The station MANAGER decided on this one because, when up which took seconds, it had side zip doors/panels and also a large opening to the front when you walk out of the side door of the T4.
That panel then folds up to allow a lot of added space for your bikes once off the rack to be secure and dry but also a good space to sit in the rain.
Its made of what I would deem as Rip Stock fabric. Only issue is my trough in the Fiamma F45 is 240cm and once this is slid in it has an overhang of about 35cm.
It fits T1/2/3/4/5 so it fits all and we put up with the overhand and other than a perfectionist, you would notice it.
The awning comes with the legs, and the front panel simple connect poles for rugidity and pegs and a black bag to put it all in.
Price £161.67 plus VAT Total £194.00

So all in all good value and worth a look at as so many motorhome and camper van agents sell it for a lot more.
Hope that helps, any questions fire away.
I'll post a picture, but its the standard sales image on a T5 not my white Trident for information you can get some idea and see the hang over bit like we have on the right the poles for the front door you have to buy extra[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Awning attachment to Talent /Trident Empty Re: Awning attachment to Talent /Trident

Post by lewyh Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:04 pm

MRGDave wrote:I would like to change from a tailgate awning to a side awning.

I have a VW T4 based Talent which has the same high roof design as the T4 Trident.

I don’t want to fit a rail to the side of the fibreglass roof because of the likelihood for future leaks through the attaching rivet or screw holes. Nor do I want to glue a rail to the van.

So has anyone please got any experience of what works using the vans original plastic gutter channel?  The pole and clamp kits I have seen don’t work because the pole is too wide a diameter and the clamps are the wrong design/ too chunky.

Help and guidance gratefully received.

PS I am thinking about buying a Vango Cove or Kela low awning
Hi Dave, I have the same question as you did when you posted this, and thinking about similar awning options to these. What did you end up doing? It feels like the original plastic should be good for something but I cant figure out what?! Cheers, Lewy
lewyh
lewyh

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:08 pm

lewyh wrote:
Hi Dave, I have the same question as you did when you posted this, and thinking about similar awning options to these. What did you end up doing? It feels like the original plastic should be good for something but I cant figure out what?! Cheers, Lewy

Welcome to the forum , please post an introduction here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MRGDave Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:18 am

Hi Lewy, 

I’ve been throwing straps over the top.
At the rear I use a cable tie to secure the horizontal awning pole to the stainless steel roof bar. And take a strap around the rear of the van, passing through the gap between the roof bar and roof and pegged to ground. At the front I pass a strap over the sloping part of the roof and then peg that to the ground at a point behind the front door. To stop that strap moving up or down the slope of the roof I have a second guy rope tied to the strap about three feet from the ground and peg that at 90 degrees to the strap. Result is not rain tight against the van but has been ok.
MRGDave
MRGDave

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Talent
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down