The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thetford fridge not working on gas Warwick XL

5 posters

Go down

Thetford fridge not working on gas Warwick XL Empty Thetford fridge not working on gas Warwick XL

Post by gobsmacked Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:49 pm

Hi,

The Thetford fridge in our Warwick XL works fine will driving and attached to the mains. But when parking and being off grid meaning no engine running or no mains it does not work on gas as it should. The gas valve for fridge is open and there is no error code. There is gas in the tank hob and owen works perfectly. Looking at the panel of the fridge it looks just as it should but it does not become cold. Noticed the problem this weekend. It has been a whole year since the fridge was used on gas. Any tips are welcome 🤗

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Thetford fridge not working on gas Warwick XL Empty Re: Thetford fridge not working on gas Warwick XL

Post by Kdc Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:02 pm

One quick check, initiate fridge on gas and if fridge indication says fridge should be running feel top right hand side of upper fridge vent (or remove vent) to feel if warm gas exhaust is evident. This will then tell you if fridge is operating but not cooling or not igniting.
Not a total fix but a step forward.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Thetford fridge not working on gas Warwick XL Empty Re: Thetford fridge not working on gas Warwick XL

Post by gobsmacked Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:28 pm

Thank you will check that!

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:27 pm

We had the same problem and which proved to be a partially blocked orifice in the gas burner. The diameter of the orifice is tiny (far less than pin sized) so it doesn’t take much to impede it. 

Easiest way to check is to remove the lower vent grill and peer into the rear of the fridge near the lower R/H side to see what colour the gas flame is. If should be blue, but if you find it’s yellow then the gas burner needs cleaning or even replacing by an appropriately competent person. The gas flame is easier to see once it’s dark. 

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by gobsmacked Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:34 pm

Thank you so much will check🙏🏻

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:07 am

Daft answer possibly.

as you haven't run it on gas for a year did you purge all the air from the system? this can take a couple of minutes.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by gobsmacked Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:17 am

Yes I think I have but thanks anyways!

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:28 pm

Now I am not saying to do this so please make your own mind up!!

On our Dometic fridge I had the same problem, it was the jet blocked. You can get a new one, only a very small disc with a hole in it for about £25 or as I did I unblocked it with a very fine strand of copper wire, small needle would also work.

I made sure there were no leaks after with some soapy water.

Now we are talking about gas here, so please delete this post if I am out of order. Fridge been working fine for last 2 years.
---------
Richard

PS also had to unblock one of the hob jets some time ago.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by gobsmacked Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:41 pm

Thanks Richard I take all suggestions under consideration since a non working fridge ain’t fun🤗

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:57 pm

Not much fun in these temps, having no fridge. 
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gobsmacked Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:50 pm

Have now made sure that it actually ignited when I put the fridge in gas mode and could see a blue flame so seems to be no problem with the gas supply. That leaves something inside the fridge since it is not cooling. Read somewhere there is some sort of liquid in there that might not be working properly due to the van having been standing still for such a long time. Also read somewhere that it could help to drive on bumpy roads or take out the fridge and shake it. Anyone knows if there is any truth in this? Or someone with the same problem found a good solution which does not involve a new fridge😁

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Not really a practical solution, but I recall seeing fridges upside down for 24hrs at the back of a second hand shop in Dover, before they were resold.

Maybe reference to bumpy roads.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gobsmacked Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:48 pm

Ahh so there might be some truth in it😄

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:45 pm

If it’s working OK on EHU and on 12V when underway then I don’t see how it can be an issue with refrigerant liquid. Removing the fridge and turning it upside down won’t therefore achieve anything.

The picture below is from Thetford’s faultfinding guide (see link). It lists several possible faults. 

Tim

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gobsmacked Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:07 pm

Thank you so much Tim, will go through the list to see where I end up🙏🏻

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:13 pm

Good luck, let us know how you resolve it.

Tim

Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gobsmacked Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:30 pm

👍🏻🚐

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by gobsmacked Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:21 pm

Little update. Took the van to a garage. The guy thought it was a matter of cleaning the burner. So he did but then said there was nothing to clean so did not charge me. Could not see anything else that was wrong. But turned out that after he did that it started working again. So no clue if it was the cleaning or just him fiddling with other things that got it working😊

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:30 pm

gobsmacked wrote:Little update. Took the van to a garage. The guy thought it was a matter of cleaning the burner. So he did but then said there was nothing to clean so did not charge me. Could not see anything else that was wrong. But turned out that after he did that it started working again. So no clue if it was the cleaning or just him fiddling with other things that got it working😊
The burner disc has a very very small hole, so I suspect he dislodged a bit of something that was causing your problem.

Glad you got it fixed and FOC smile!

---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gobsmacked Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:39 pm

👍🏻

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down