The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement rear tailgate Trooper 2003

5 posters

Go down

Replacement rear tailgate Trooper 2003 Empty Replacement rear tailgate Trooper 2003

Post by andrewedmondson Tue May 17, 2022 10:44 pm

A delivery van crashed into my tailgate. What to do? Only recently finished refurbishment.
Can't remember how to include photo.
andrewedmondson
andrewedmondson

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Replacement rear tailgate Trooper 2003 Empty Re: Replacement rear tailgate Trooper 2003

Post by andrewedmondson Wed May 18, 2022 7:37 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
andrewedmondson
andrewedmondson

Male

Back to top Go down

Replacement rear tailgate Trooper 2003 Empty Re: Replacement rear tailgate Trooper 2003

Post by Tinwheeler Wed May 18, 2022 8:15 am

Will it not be down to the other party's insurance to sort out and source a new tailgate?
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Bilbobaggins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewedmondson Wed May 18, 2022 8:26 am

Yes they have admitted full liability but I don't see how they can replace it. Has original transfers etc, new lining, bespoke curtains, complicated rear camera. Also, we were about to go on holiday. Shattered glass has damaged new roller blind I refurbished and made a hole in the sliding door weather strip. Took 4 hours to clear up. Covered in plastic now. Not sure what I can claim for over and above repairs.
andrewedmondson
andrewedmondson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed May 18, 2022 11:30 am

Their insurance should pay to have it restored to how it was before the accident.

But I'm sorry to say that the reality is likely to be very different if our recent experience is anything to go by. You will probably have to end up doing at least some of the interior trim work yourself if you want it done properly...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed May 18, 2022 1:14 pm

Is your own insurance company involved, or a claims handler, Andrew? They should fight your corner to get full restoration/reimbursement and advise you on your claim. I’d not go it alone if I was you.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed May 18, 2022 2:01 pm

Has assessor seen it yet? Make sure hinges haven't distorted the roof or the floor at the lock. What's the value, £20/22k.? Anything approaching half that in repair costs will make it a write-off. You could then buy it back at a fraction and sort it over whatever period it takes.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed May 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Paulmold wrote:Has assessor seen it yet? Make sure hinges haven't distorted the roof or the floor at the lock. What's the value, £20/22k.? Anything approaching half that in repair costs will make it a write-off. You could then buy it back at a fraction and sort it over whatever period it takes.

Indeed - and it's worth making sure you are present when the assessor sees it. When our Trooper was assessed for damage late last year, I asked our assessor what his estimate of the pre-accident value of our 2005 Trooper was and he said "about £12k"! I only just managed to stop myself laughing out loud.

Also be aware that assessment for damage may not be done by the same person as assessment for residual value if it is written off, so you may get some inconsistencies there.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewedmondson Wed May 18, 2022 4:59 pm

Thanks for the advice.
The solicitors for the van delivery company have asked me to get a quote, as their repair service doesn't cover camper vans.
I paid £22k for it (ridiculous price) and spent £6k on refurbishment and upgrades.
I've contacted my insurers saying that I want fair compensation.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
andrewedmondson
andrewedmondson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewedmondson Wed May 18, 2022 5:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Took 4 hours to clean up the glass.
Glass damaged one of the newly refurbished roller blinds and took a chunk out of the sliding door weather strip.
andrewedmondson
andrewedmondson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Thu May 19, 2022 12:52 pm

Sorry to hear of your mishap......  can I suggest you should also be looking at compensation relating to your forthcoming holiday provided you have proof of bookings or similar.   A replacement hired motorhome ??   Good luck.
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewedmondson Thu May 19, 2022 1:48 pm

Hi Bob. We didn't have any holiday bookings. We travel and book en route. Their insurers say they won't compensate unless there are provable costs. My insurer is on the case now. They said my premiums will go up but I won't lose an NCB. I would have thought I should be compensated for this too. I'm going to lose out, that's for sure.
andrewedmondson
andrewedmondson

Male

Back to top Go down