The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike Racks

+3
Bollard
Toffee
Bill
7 posters

Go down

Bike Racks Empty Bike Racks

Post by Bill Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:59 pm

I am looking for recommendations on carrying an electric bike on my Symbol and have looked at door fitting carriers and tow bar carriers ( although I haven't had a tow bar fitted yet !)  What do people prefer ?.  Many thanks.  Bill
Bill
Bill

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Bike Racks Empty Re: Bike Racks

Post by Toffee Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:19 pm

Just swapped from a door mounted carrier to a tow bar mounted one, you need to consider if you need to open the rear doors on the symbol with the bike on the carrier. It would be a problem with our Thule carrier, it does tip away from the doors but not enough to allow them to open fully. Other consideration is the carrying capacity of the rack, and also the grooms weight of the vehicle and how much of your payload would be consumed by fitting a tow bar and rack.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bollard Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:25 pm

We had a tow at fitted and. Bosall two bike rack. carrying capacity is 60kg. Each electric bike without battery is 21kg, well within limits. Fully loaded on weighbridge still had considerable payload available but not going silly. Yes it’s a pain with the Symbol Plus toilet cassette rear removal and everything has to be taken off to empty it is every other day! I would not like to put such a load on the rear door hinges i think you would be asking for trouble. The towbar fitted by Marquis is not a cheap job and quite a long job with the electrics but worth it
Bollard
Bollard

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Rog55 Fri May 13, 2022 9:26 pm

I was surprised to find that my electric bike fitted into the van quite easily, turning the handle bars round helped. I tied it alongside the bed behind the drivers seat. A bit of padding was required to protect the upholstery, but stood on its wheels it never moved.
Rog55
Rog55

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sat May 14, 2022 10:16 pm

I use a Thule on a Boxer. Carrying capacity of the rack is 60Kg and the bike is 24Kg. Load when doors are closed is carried principally by the pad on the bottom-centre of the threshold frame and not the hinges. i see no problem with the doors open as there is no shock loading from the road.  Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Mon May 16, 2022 9:24 am

Carry our’s inside, suitably secured. At destination we have bike covers and secured too van structure. Batteries always kept inside!
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by morristraveller Mon May 16, 2022 12:11 pm

I have a Symbol Plus so in order to carry two E-bikes and gain access to the loo box we invested in a Van Star swinging arm bike carrier. Very happy with the quality and ease of use
morristraveller
morristraveller

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol+
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down