The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swinging door

2 posters

Go down

Swinging door Empty Swinging door

Post by sueb Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:58 pm

Hi
Todays problem is……..the hab door
We have owned this Bourton just under a year, and the door gas always behaved well…….as we have used it in relatively good weather.Away in strong winds a few days ago and the door was swinging madly around…..I have a photo which I will try to upload which shows a metal ( aluminium?) stay protruding over locked door…..does this control ‘ door swing?’, and if so what bolt do I need to secure it
Cheers Sue

Mods note: Topic moved to correct section
sueb
sueb

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Swinging door Empty Re: Swinging door

Post by Cymro Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:53 pm

Sounds like a Hartal door. 

It has a metal stay at the top of the door, one end of which sits in a groove along the top of the door, the other end of which is screwed into the door frame. But that screw is tightened from underneath, and as a result, repeated opening of the door can cause the retaining screw to undo, and then the metal bar drops loose. The screw may be on the floor. Otherwise, you'll need another. It's best to (a) add some Loctite to the screw thread so it doesn't work loose in future; and (b) but some lubrication on the hole in the bar through which the screw tightens, so the door can move easliy whilst not undoing the screw.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:34 pm

Here's a photo of mine. It's taken from outside the van, looking inwards and up. You can see the retaining bar, secured by the (dirty) screw head going up into the door frame. (It's dirty because of the lubrication which I mentioned).
Hope this helps.

Cymro

Swinging door Img_2811
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by sueb Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:20 am

Many thanks for your help!
sueb
sueb

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by sueb Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:43 am

Thanks for all your help so far…….yes I have a screw loose, or rather missing! My hab door stay doesn’t have the screw to prevent the door from ‘ yawing ‘ open alarmingly.
You guessed it…….any ideas on sourcing the right one……not in my shed for sure!
sueb
sueb

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:48 pm

I hope you'll forgive me, Sueb, but I am loathe to unscrew the screw in my photo to measure it, lest it gives problems thereafter. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd drive to a local caravan / motorhome servicing place, and ask them to fit the correct screw. They can try various until they have the correct one - which I guess will be fairly common. I'd also ask them to put a dab of Loctite on the thread, and to grease the hole in the bar through which screw goes into the upper frame of the doorway. Should only cost pence.....

It's not a happy system. Fitting a screw upside down isn't the best, but especially when the bar will tend to undo the screw as the door is opened and closed repeatedly, because of friction on the screw.

Good luck! And tell us the outcome. 

Cymro

PS: just thought. I found the UK agents for Hartal doors to be good. Why not give them a ring / email and ask (if there's no local caravan / MH place reasonably close to you?  Here are their details:
Miriad Products Ltd.
Park Lane
Dove Valley Park
South Derbyshire
DE65 5BG
UK
www.miriad-products.com
phone +44 1283 5860 60

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator