The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Towbar on a PVC

3 posters

Go down

Towbar on a PVC Empty Towbar on a PVC

Post by Dbvwt Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:25 pm

I know towbars have been well covered on here but I’m getting nowhere with the various search options on the forum. 
My friend and her mum have recently bought a trailer tent, the good news is I don’t have to sleep in the blooming awning ever again allthumbz

Although they will usually be towing it on their car, there are many times when sticking it on the back of the van will work for the longer UK tours we intend to do now my friend is retiring soon. A towbar is also something I’ve considered myself for other reasons so my questions are -

1 - Thoughts/experience of bar types on a PVC. Fixed, detachable, Swan, Flange..
2 - Electrics on a 2018 van. Vehicle specific or will a bypass relay do?
3 - Can I fit it myself?
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Towbar on a PVC Empty Re: Towbar on a PVC

Post by kaspian Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:34 pm

Hi David, Just get a fixed bar. All are made to European standard and all should fix to the manufacturers designated attachment points . There is little between  makes and I have fitted them all . Try PF  Jones as they have good prices and helpline with guys willing to assist if you have any questions. Bypass relay adequate and most of the wiring picked up in lhs rear light cluster. You can connect via a/s wiring but last couple of vans I  did not bother with that. Easy job done in under 3 hours including tea break . Go on I have confidence in you !
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Towbar on a PVC Empty Re: Towbar on a PVC

Post by Toffee Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:20 pm

Had a witter tow bar fitted in December, I fitted the tow bar because I had to relocate some of the gas pipes and the tow bar fitters were not prepared to touch those. I then took it back to the fitters to have the electrics connected. They used a vehicle specific kit and it took them longer than expected even though they had done lots before.
The physical fitting is pretty easy if you are competent with spanner’s and methodical, I’m not sure if you need to access the vehicle with a laptop to complete the electrical side as the witter instructions that were in the box seemed to indicate this was necessary.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down