The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Towbar

3 posters

Go down

Towbar  Empty Towbar

Post by Toffee Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:51 pm

Popped around to our tow bar fitting centre today to get them to quote for supply and fit, they specifically asked me to take the Fairford around for them to make sure it was straight forward. 
I wasn’t surprised to learn that Autosleeper had thoughtfully fitted two gas pipes that prevent the tow bar being fitted. I’ve now got to get those re routed prior to fitting.
So a bit of a moan but it might be worth others checking if your van is still under warranty and you want to fit a tow bar at some point.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Towbar  Empty Re: Towbar

Post by Ben001 Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:49 pm

Perhaps something that AS became aware of and modified on later vans. Dealer fitted towbar to my 2019 Fairford with no problems. Ben
Ben001
Ben001

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:17 pm

Yes very possible as ours was an October 2015 build for the launch of the Fairford and sat in a showroom for many months before we bought it.
Toffee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:29 pm

The tow bar had been ordered once it’s in stock I am collecting the side mounting plates from the fitter so I can offer these up to the chassis rails under the van. I should then be able to get the gas pipes moved to clear the side plates. 
What a faff🤬
Toffee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by justlooking Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:15 am

It may be worthwhile to check that the particular Thule rack that you’re considering will fit over the standard flange type towball bracket. Mine didn’t and I had to have a longer swan neck type fabricated onto the flange bracket. I thought of using spacers to move the original flange towball out a bit and allow the rack clamp to fit over it, but was told that spacers fall foul of MoT regulations. First world problem admittedly but both the towbar and the rack are expensive products and so some early homework may make for a happy campervanner.
justlooking
justlooking

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : IH 630 RL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Toffee likes this post

Back to top Go down