The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trooper value question

2 posters

Go down

Trooper value question Empty Trooper value question

Post by groundhog Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:52 pm

Came across a 93 trooper on a VW chassis with long Mot and fitted Golf 2.0 engine. Looks very straight and nice inside.
Thinking of it as a present for someone asking price is £6500. Sounds reasonable but I have no idea what it's worth so guidance welcome please?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Trooper value question Empty Re: Trooper value question

Post by Roopert Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:54 pm

It's always very difficult without actually seeing it and looking in and under it. We looked at a few T4-based (presumably it's T4 and not T25?)  Troopers before buying a T5 based one, and a few had been blown over on top but looked very very rough underneath!

Have you actually looked at it? Photos don't really give enough detail to be able to see what it's like in real life - even one that's really knocked about inside can look quite presentable in photos (direct experience - I bought a Rapport like that!).

If it's a trade sale then it's cheap for current price conditions, so I would approach with caution. The conversion of engine might be Ok, or it could be badly bodged - you'll really only get a feeling for that by looking under the bonnet and underneath. The one problem that swaps like that can present is when trying to source spare parts, because there have been (for example) quite a few different types of 2l VW Golf engine, and parts from one probably won't fit another...

Do you know how long ago the engine swap was done, and how long the last owner has kept it for? That may give an indication of unresolved issues, if there are any.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

groundhog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:55 am

Thanks Roopert.
Yes it is a T4 and is being sold privately by someone very local which is how I came across it. I will run the registration through the MOT checker site to get some history, haven't had a close inspection but paintwork is original and interior as you would expect for a 95000 mile van.
I am familiar with restoring old cars fortunately and the person I would be buying it for has built camper vans in the past so welding etc is no problem.
Need to have a proper look now and might make a silly offer see what happens. allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Roopert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:47 pm

If it's a private sale then it's a more believable price, and may not be hiding any ghastly bodges (but then again...). Pretty much any petrol-engined camper van is in demand now because of the issues with LEZ and diesel, so it's definitely worth a look. It's a bit surprising that it has needed an engine transplant at 95,000 miles, but less so with a petrol engine.

The slightly bashed about Rapport that I mentioned earlier was also one that I made a silly offer on and... it was actually quite a good buy!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:31 am

Decided to pass this time, although it looked OK underneath MOT history on the DVLA site reveals it has failed every year for the last five on corrosion. It was advertised as MOT until October but according to DVLA it is March!
Could have been worth a punt but its value was never going o be the same as a really good one.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down