The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T4 Topaz weights/towing

+2
Toffee
Skeena
6 posters

Go down

T4 Topaz weights/towing Empty T4 Topaz weights/towing

Post by Skeena Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:45 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I can't find an exact match to my query.

My Topaz T4 is a manual 2.4D on a 2000 reg.

My V5C does not show any weights for the van or for towing, that section is totally blank on my current and past V5C.

Is this common for Auto-Sleeper conversions at this time or has something been lost over time? Although first registered in the UK I have discovered the van had a time in Eire before returning and being given an age related plate. 

Can anyone tell me if their T4 V5C has the weights & tow limits listed on their V5C? I think it might be important to have the T4 2.4D versions as anything else may change slightly. 

Also is there a plate somewhere where this information might be on a T4? Nothing has jumped out at me yet. 

Thanks.
Skeena
Skeena

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

T4 Topaz weights/towing Empty Re: T4 Topaz weights/towing

Post by Toffee Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:09 pm

It’s possible and likely the dvla have issued the v5 without all the info on it, but I’m guessing.

How you go about correcting this I don’t know. I wonder if you could send an email to Sv tech who seem to know a lot about vehicle weights to see if they are able to advise. 🤷‍�
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Skeena wrote:
Also is there a plate somewhere where this information might be on a T4? Nothing has jumped out at me yet. 

Yes - it should originally have had a load plate from the factory - it's a mandatory requirement for every vehicle that's registered as PLG. The plate should have four figures on it, the second of which should be the Gross Train Weight, in kilos. It's the maximum total of the van (loaded) weight plus trailer weight. On VW's the load plate is often on the bulkhead, inside the engine bay.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Toffee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Skeena Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:00 pm

Toffee & Roopert thank you for your replies. I continue to search for this information. If anyone has a T4 Topaz 2.4D from about 2000 I'd be glad to hear from you one way or another. 

I have checked my bulkhead and haven't found a plate. Unless it is located where only contortionist can go I'm at a loss, especially if it was required by law in 2000. 

Checking my tow-bar I see it is a Witter VW41B which has a max 2000kg load. 

Autotrader in Australia does show a LWB T4 (2000) Manual having an unbraked capacity of 700kg and braked at 2000kg. I'm aware the UK has 750kg unbraked. This gives me a ball park figure but it would be nice to have the official figures.
Skeena
Skeena

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:24 pm

Were you not given the VW owner's manual for the van? As far as I'm aware they all have a technical data section which gives the weights for all of the variants, including Gross Train Weights.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Skeena Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:21 pm

Roopert wrote:Were you not given the VW owner's manual for the van? As far as I'm aware they all have a technical data section which gives the weights for all of the variants, including Gross Train Weights.
I was given a lovely VW wallet with a number of official booklets within. Reading them it talks about towing and says the weights are in Booklet 3.3 'Technical Data'. You've guessed it, that one is missing..!  scratch head
Skeena
Skeena

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hampshire hog Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Have just seen this post having just been checking on a few technical details on my 2003 t4 Topaz 2.4 d . According to the AS manual the GTM (gross train mass)is unaffected by the conversion and should be be in the base vehicle hand book ( VW )
This also applies to Max braked trailer mass ( MBTM).
Hampshire hog
Hampshire hog

Male

Member Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by Skeena Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:23 pm

Hampshire hog wrote:Have just seen this post having just been checking on a few technical details on my 2003 t4 Topaz 2.4 d . According to the AS manual the GTM (gross train mass)is unaffected by the conversion and should be be in the base vehicle hand book ( VW )
This also applies to Max braked trailer mass ( MBTM).
Thank you. If you have said part of the handbook I would be grateful for what it says. As I mentioned before that information may be within Booklet 3.3 (Tachnical Data) which is the only one missing from my folder..!  scratch head
Skeena
Skeena

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike23 Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:34 pm

Hi Skeena, Information as you requested taken from VW Technical Data 3.3 booklet. Page 16,  Trailer weights. 2.4D engine (55KW) 75HP 5 cylinder 2370cc. Permissable Trailer weights max in Kg. Trailer without brakes 700. Trailer with brakes 2000. Permissible combined weight on gradients up to 12% 4500. Maximum Permissible weight of the trailer drawbar on the ball of the towing hitch must not exceed 100 Kg. In point of interest the figures given for Trailer weights both braked and unbraked are identical  for ALL VW T4's irrespective of engine fitted. Regards
Mike23
Mike23

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2004

Skeena likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Skeena Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:50 pm

Mike23 wrote:Hi Skeena, Information as you requested taken from VW Technical Data 3.3 booklet. Page 16,  Trailer weights. 2.4D engine (55KW) 75HP 5 cylinder 2370cc. Permissable Trailer weights max in Kg. Trailer without brakes 700. Trailer with brakes 2000. Permissible combined weight on gradients up to 12% 4500. Maximum Permissible weight of the trailer drawbar on the ball of the towing hitch must not exceed 100 Kg. In point of interest the figures given for Trailer weights both braked and unbraked are identical  for ALL VW T4's irrespective of engine fitted. Regards
Thanks Mike, that's a great help.  up!
Skeena
Skeena

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike23 Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:00 am

You are welcome, Thank you for the courtesy of replying after asking for advice. Regards
Mike23
Mike23

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:54 am

On most vehicles the information is on a plate either on the slam panel under the bonnet or on the door frame which will be visible with the door open

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down