The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thetford

5 posters

Go down

Thetford Empty Thetford

Post by Sapper Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi, Which power source would get my Thetford fridge down to temperature the quickest, Gas or 240v or would they both be the same?
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Thetford Empty Re: Thetford

Post by Bilbobaggins Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:50 pm

From personal experience I would say 240v, process can be helped by putting frozen ice packs, bottles of frozen water from house fridge into the Thetford to get it to temperature

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Good idea, thanks.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:36 pm

The evening before we set off I've started to put our van on EHU and the fridge on maximum cooling, you're then starting off with a cold fridge when I gather that otherwise on 12V the fridge doesn't get as cold. I would suspect that the freezer compartment in our Theford fridge would be colder this way than just using frozen bottles of water, cheaper though. I suppose it depends if you want to take much frozen food away with you.

Gas or 240V mains, I expect they'll have about the same cooling ability.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:55 am

I have tested this on our RM4231 using dataloggers in the fridge and ice box.

Note that these measurements were conducted towards the end of April in Fife when the outside temperature was around 10C; performance at higher ambient temperatures would obviously vary. (If and when our next heatwave arrives I intend to repeat the measurements.) 

On both sets of measurements the relevant dial was set to the maximum setting. Apart from the dataloggers, the fridge was empty of contents, so this is not a true test of real life conditions.

The rate of cooling per deg C was similar to start with - both sources took around 100 minutes to drop the main fridge temperature from 10 C to around 1C.

However gas then continued downward to a much lower temperature - too cold, actually, if left on max as took the main fridge area down to between minus 6.5 deg C and minus 9 deg C depending on shelf position; the ice box to minus 20C. 

On 240V the fridge temperature varied between 1C and minus 1C, the ice box minus 10C to minus 13.5C. The temperatures vary consistently with the switching differential as the thermostat clicks in and out, whereas on gas the curve remained smooth, levelling off exponentially as it approached minimum.  I haven't tried with gas set at lower dial settings to see how control deadband varies, that's also on my list of low priority nerd jobs!

So in summary, both energy sources cool to working levels at around the same rate but gas will continue to lower temperatures. It will be interesting to see if gas copes better at higher ambient temperatures when the fridge's evaporative cycle is struggling more.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Cymro, Slaphead and Slow-Lane like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:46 pm

Thanks Roger,
A very interesting study. up!
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Grabea Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:24 pm

We recently used our Electrolux fridge on gas for the first time, the thermostat was on the coldest setting and soon became too cold, crunchy salad! so we turned it down to 4 and it got even colder!! so next turned it to 3 which seemed to be just right.
When driving and fridge on 12v the performance seems to be very good, no need for freezer packs, everything nice and cold on arrival even after a short run of a couple of hours.
240v on EHU also works well, frozen stuff stays frozen so all round no complaints.
Graham
Grabea
Grabea

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down