The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maxview TV external point issue

+2
Relaxez-Vous
keithc
6 posters

Go down

Maxview TV external point issue Empty Maxview TV external point issue

Post by keithc Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:35 am

Hi, I have a 2012 Peugeot Boxer Kemerton Autosleeper with a Maxview TV/satellite external connector box (the oblong shaped one) . The satellite connector socket seams temperamental when I screw on my dish cable so
thinking there must be a loose connection inside the box. Releasing the 3 screws on this box doesn't appear to release the box and reluctant to try to prise it off incase it has some form of internal
retention, or it may be also glued in.
Does anybody know the nature of this fixing or can help with advice please?

Regards Keith
keithc
keithc

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Boxer
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Maxview TV external point issue Empty Re: Maxview TV external point issue

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:34 pm

On our Kemerton XL there's a Whale box with grey slide up cover. Is yours the same?
A-S might have used mastic to waterproof the box, or more likely over time that the gasket has stuck itself to the van.

Are sure that your cable is making proper contact with the socket? You might try using a short length of coax with a F Type Female to Female Connector, the other end going to your dish to see if you still get an intermittent connection. You would wiggle the cables to narrow down where there's a problem.Alternatively use a multimeter, perhaps shorting the satellite socket inside the van and see if the multimeter continuity picks this up. You'd need to poke thin bits of wire into the sockets to do this. All powers off so no risk that you're shorting the power going to the LNB.

Making a proper connection between coax to an F type plug can be a challenge, especially to avoid creating a short.

Before you remove the socket, I'd look at the coax and plug on the end that comes from the dish. Can you plug the dish directly into the TV or satellite receiver?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:37 pm

I was told my a satellite person to use ordinary TV sockets as you will be unscrewing it more often. 
did use an adapter permanently plugged in. In the end I switched the cable to the TV output side, and if I need to use the TV bollard, use the Sat socket inside with the adapter,  avoiding the booster side. All seems to work OK
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by K & S Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:13 pm

Thanks for your comments guys. It is defiantly not the dish cable as all is ok if I connect directly. If I screw onto the external port finger tight it doesn’t connect so I have to loosen off to get a connection, so think it must be this external box. It’s not the square one it’s the oblong Maxview type. Think if I get it off I might see the issue or be able to replace the box. Hopefully somebody has had the courage to prise it off.
K & S
K & S

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:08 pm

Looking on the Maxview website you might get an idea how they mount their external aerial sockets.
It appears they use self tapping screws, but additionally a self adhesive pad. I'd say it's this that's keeping the socket tight against your van.

It's going to be tough to remove. I'd start at a top corner by using a very thin flexible bladed plaster spatula. If you can get any gap then introduce some sticky stuff remover liquid, and hopefully in a few minutes you might be able to work on down the back, to release the housing.

If you get the housing off and do a repair, you'll still need to make a watertight seal if you put things back. Maybe a new socket housing with its new adhesive pad is complicated but perhaps the best repair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Relaxez-Vous on Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:10 pm

There will most likely be a self-adhesive foam gasket between the fitting and the bodywork, as shown in the product description and photos at the link below. They stick well, making the socket housing very difficult to remove.

If you can get onto the rear of the fitting, inside the van, by removing the rear panel of a cupboard then that would be a better option. You could then waggle the cable where it enters the socket box and see if you can repeat the fault. 

These socket boxes are pre-wired and supplied with 3m long flying leads, so I think it’s unlikely they’ll be at fault. More likely to be suspect are AS’s cable connections, which are notoriously poor.  Coax cable requires care when making connections and terminations; all it needs is a stray strand of copper screen to create a short and the connection will be compromised. AS don’t appear to understand this and compound the problem by not testing the TV cable system.

Based on my own experience in two different AS vans, I advise you use a multimeter to check for continuity and for short circuits from the external sockets back to those in the van. Wherever you find a connector, waggle it while testing to see if it creates a problem.

Tim

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:13 pm

RV beat me to it and has inserted the correct link to Maxview’s website, ignore my link.

I still believe trying to remove the socket is the last resort. Try the approach I set out first.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by K & S Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:30 pm

That’s guys, good advice. Will try all options before trying to remove the external box set up.
K & S
K & S

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fred1 Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:47 pm

I fitted one to my van last year and they are self adhesive with self taper screws.
fred1
fred1

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:26 pm

If you remove it you will tear the foam adhesive gasket, there shouldn’t be any connections behind it as it come with two, 2mtr leads. The fittings you are connecting to are made by maxview. Auto sleeper will put the fittings on the other end of the cables somewhere in the van? Perhaps at the tv booster. If you really wish to remove it get a spare one first, for the gasket.
It might be easier to try a new booster box first, I know that some maxview signal boosters block the signal when powered off, so might block it if faulty.🤷‍�
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down