The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AdBlue

+15
bertb
tofty
cyclo
IanH
Tinwheeler
Dbvwt
v8oholic
gef
AutoSleepy_Don
glyne lock
roli
Paulmold
Brian6
Barry the Bishop
Victor Johnstone
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

AdBlue - Page 3 Empty Re: AdBlue

Post by v8oholic Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:19 am

Yesterday I got the AdBlue warning for the second time at 11,686 Km, meaning a distance of nearly 6000 Km (3700 miles) travelled since filling it from a pump. And again, I found a garage with an AdBlue pump, and this time it was a Total garage with a much different and better pump design. Not covered in crap to start with, totally clean. If you’ve ever seen an AdBlue pump you’ll know what I mean - often they are covered up because they are caked in white stuff! Anyway this one was clean as a whistle, and the nozzle had to be very positively engaged into the filler before anything would flow. But as a result, no mess at all this time, and 11.05 litres added (€14.25 - £12.29 in Luxembourg).

This seems to be consistent with it having starting off full when new, and a 6000 Km range before the warning, with a 3 litre reserve after that. And usage of about 335 miles per litre.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by MJF Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:43 pm

A little advice needed here please.

I've done 1500 miles in my Warwick Duo Fiat (purchased new from Derby Motorhomes who assured me that the Adblue tank was full when supplied)  and am going for an extended European break soon, is it Ok to top up the AdBlue without the warning light coming on? 

I really don't want to carry a large container of AdBlue when I probably wouldn't need it if I set off with a full tank.
MJF
MJF

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:18 pm

I have topped  mine up several times no ill effect.  Should you buy a container make sure you can plug it in to the connector
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

MJF likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MJF Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:25 pm

gef wrote:I have topped  mine up several times no ill effect.  Should you buy a container make sure you can plug it in to the connector
 Thanks for that, I was just a bit nervous as I've never come across Adblue before. I'll have a go at topping up tomorrow.
MJF
MJF

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:11 pm

I wouldn’t worry too much about it if you’re going to Europe. A lot of the bigger service stations have nice clean AdBlue pumps which make it easy. It can be messy from a container, and it’s 2 or 3 times the price here compared to pumps in mainland Europe.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

MJF likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:36 pm

v8oholic wrote:I wouldn’t worry too much about it if you’re going to Europe. A lot of the bigger service stations have nice clean AdBlue pumps which make it easy. It can be messy from a container, and it’s 2 or 3 times the price here compared to pumps in mainland Europe.

I agree with V8.  I absolutely would not worry about Adblue at all.  Even if you do get low then you get a lot of warning (1,500 miles on my van) and it's available at every filling station.

I am sure you can fill whenever you like but I have always waited for the 1,500 mile warning before adding a 10L container. That way I know I will not overfill.  If you knew what the ingredients were then you too would not want AdBlue down the side of the van. hugegrins
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Vehicle Year : 2017

MJF likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:08 am

I've just had the Adblue warning.  None of the filling stations I visited had an AdBlue pump so I went to Halfords and bought a pack of 3 x 3.5 litre collapsible containers of the stuff.  Filling can be a messy business.  The pipe has to be fitted well inside the hole so it depresses the metal flap.  If not the AdBlue spills out.  The nozzle on the containers wasn't long enough so I attached a piece of flexible plastic pipe I happened to have.  Care has to be taken not to overfill the tank as it will also spill out.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

MJF likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:07 am

It's very cheap off the internet although it does have a shelf life particularly if it isn't kept in the dark. It's basically urea solution. As in urine but synthetically produced.
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Vehicle Year : 2020

MJF likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MJF Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:30 am

I've just topped up the tank and it took almost a 10 litre container, so with a 19 litre tank it's used a maximum of 10 litres over 1472 miles which gives me a range of approx 2800 miles.

The filler worked fine with no spillage and I am now quite comfortable with topping up again.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.
MJF
MJF

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:45 pm

I've just seen 10 litres for £16.99 in my local Aldi.  I have just paid £18.58 for 10.5 litres in my local Halfords - £1.77 per litre compared to £1.70 per litre in Aldi.  I am sure it was a lot cheaper than this the last time I bought it.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:07 pm

It’s about a euro per litre on the continent, from the pumps at least.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HJA Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:53 pm

£6.49 for 5 litres at Home Bargains So bought 2 lots - a 5l container so much easier to handle than a 10l one.
HJA
HJA

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:00 am

HJA wrote:£6.49 for 5 litres at Home Bargains So bought 2 lots - a 5l container so much easier to handle than a 10l one.
Good price but store it in the dark if you can't fill the van.
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave/Pat Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:00 am

My problem was it took some in them overflowed .Because of the sprung cover in the  filler tube lower down so I got a long neck filler
Dave/Pat
Dave/Pat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:28 pm

Yes, you have to ensure the spout of the container is long enough to operate the flap inside the filler tube.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3