The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine fault

4 posters

Go down

Engine fault Empty Engine fault

Post by dstoreuk Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:44 am

Hi all. Went to start my 1998 Autosleeper Harmony 2.0 Petrol last week but no joy. The engine turns over but will not start.

Called AA who replaced the coil but did not solve the problem.

Towed to a local garage, R and A Scott in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, who spent two hours trying to get it going but unable. They say that one of the key problems is they are unable to use the Onboard diagnostics because the socket is an OBD1. While the OBD2 socket is the same across all manufacturers, the OBD1 sockets were unique to each individual car maker.

Just tried to book for service at Peugeot in Lincoln but they can't even look at the van until 22nd July.

So my question is (finally), does anybody know a Peugeot mechanic with an OBD1 socket diagnostic tool and lives near Gainsborough Lincolnshire, that can fix my van quicker than 22nd July?

Any help much appreciated.
dstoreuk
dstoreuk

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Engine fault Empty Re: Engine fault

Post by dstoreuk Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:09 am

Additional note. Just spoke to Pentagon Lincoln Peugeot Dealer and they have told me they no longer have a master technician at their branch and they will be unable to fix the van. They have suggested another dealer, Taylors of Boston instead.

This is incredible that a dealer can't fix their own car! Now I really need help!!!
dstoreuk
dstoreuk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:14 am

Maybe immobiliser fault. Auto-electrician may help if you know of one.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Alf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:29 am

For this type of problem you are probably best just trying to find a local backstreet garage - preferably one that works on classic cars. A main dealer will just want to plug it in and replace whatever the computer tells them needs replacing.

A late 90's petrol engine won't be too complex so you just need someone that can fault-find from basics. E.g. are both fuel and air delivery Ok? Is there spark? Is there fuel pressure? Is static timing Ok? Is exhaust/cat blocked?

It shouldn't be hard for any garage mechanic who is competent and methodical - you could do worse than just ask on your local Facebook group for recommendations (for your type of problem) in your area.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Alf and BobK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:39 am

See below ,double post:hugegrins:

Last edited by FreelanderUK on Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:42 am

I have a set of leads that I bought for a obd1 set up on my old Fiat van, I have all the connections to connect to a laptop that can be used with diagnostic softwhere.

I have had this for sale on farce-book and other websites at the moment, send me a photo of the connection, this is for the 2/3 pin plug/socket type

Also try BE Automotive on the Louth industrial estate as they have/or had the leads and software as they used to do my van before I bought my own leads, they still service our cars and vans now and have done for the last 20 years

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by dstoreuk Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:21 pm

Thanks All. My van is back on the road. Was getting desperate for a while. R and A Scott gave it one more try and replaced the Crank sensor. Result! Cost £26 for the part and £173 for the time spent diagnosing the problem. All indications were it was a timing problem that would have cost a lot more so happy it was a reasonable price in the end.

FreelanderUK. Got some good advice from BE automotive in Louth. He no longer has the OBD1 cable but he gave me some really good practical advice. Thanks for your help and every one else.
dstoreuk
dstoreuk

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down