The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microwave Problems

+11
FreelanderUK
BornAgain
Paulmold
mikethebike
Kemerton-bath
bristol170kj
rgermain
Kdc
SENTINEL
Bilbobaggins
Caught1once
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Microwave Problems Empty Microwave Problems

Post by Caught1once Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:18 pm

Hi, I am having ongoing problems with the microwave in my 2019 Kingham, the problem relates to the securing system that appears to be just 4 self tapping screws that holds it in place, this results is it becoming loose and unstable.
Do I have a one off problem or have other members experienced this

Ken
Caught1once
Caught1once

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham pvc
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Microwave Problems Empty Re: Microwave Problems

Post by Bilbobaggins Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:22 pm

Regular problem,  I ended up removing existing screws, adding felt padding under the feet and using wider screws to secure the microwave. Next step will be a touch of glue on the screws, but reluctant to do this in case I need to remove it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:25 pm

Like some others on the forum have already done, we intend to remove our microwave...hopefully within the next week or two.
We never use it as a microwave, anything stored in it e.g.. bread, flies out when the door releases itself (normally a pot hole or sharp roundabout) and for us, the space could be better used. 
Those who use and love them seem to find a way to improve the fixings but it is a lot of weight, sitting in a high space!

There will be many others who will offer good advice about resecuring though.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:51 pm

It’s been a subject on forum in the past.Believe the factory fitting is lacking.Like others I removed mine then beefed up the securing screws,that was 2 years ago and been fine since.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl

bobby b likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:10 pm

I never had a problem with the screws holding the microwave secure, however the problem will never be now, m/w is now stored in the garage.

We only used it once and now tend to only use cheap CL etc sites with no EHU.

have found the extra cupboard space very handy, store toilet rolls etc and very handy for cakes or flans when in France, I say when!

I have now fitted a Tambour slatted door which has been mentioned on this site by others, thank you David.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Dbvwt and SENTINEL like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Caught1once wrote:Hi, I am having ongoing problems with the microwave in my 2019 Kingham, the problem relates to the securing system that appears to be just 4 self tapping screws that holds it in place, this results is it becoming loose and unstable.

Ken
Yes, this problem appears wide spread.  I took ours out and opened the microwave cover.  There is room inside near where the self tappers that AS used.  I cut a couple of pieces of wood (about 1" square) and glued them inside the microwave.  I then refitted in the original shelf and using longer wood screws through the shelf into the microwave and the newly installed wood battens.  This was 4 years ago and it has not moved since.

I'm not sure why AS don't do a better job on something that rattles down the street.

HTH
Keith
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:23 pm

OP:  Without wishing to alarm you, be aware that some Kingham owners have also reported problems with the cabinetry that the microwave sits in. The galley design is such that the microwave housing is (sort of) cantilevered, and therefore doesn't have the same number of fixings as those in all other AS van conversions. 

Best to check the cabinetry more generally in that part of your galley when you come to beef up the microwave fixings. As you'll discover, the microwave is quite a mass to be housed where it is.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:17 pm

Best place for the microwave is in the garage. wave

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

bikeralw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:27 pm

bristol170kj wrote:
Caught1once wrote:Hi, I am having ongoing problems with the microwave in my 2019 Kingham, the problem relates to the securing system that appears to be just 4 self tapping screws that holds it in place, this results is it becoming loose and unstable.

Ken
Yes, this problem appears wide spread.  I took ours out and opened the microwave cover.  There is room inside near where the self tappers that AS used.  I cut a couple of pieces of wood (about 1" square) and glued them inside the microwave.  I then refitted in the original shelf and using longer wood screws through the shelf into the microwave and the newly installed wood battens.  This was 4 years ago and it has not moved since.

I'm not sure why AS don't do a better job on something that rattles down the street.

HTH
Keith
Really?....

The magnetron inside a microwave can contain beryllium oxide in their ceramic insulators which can be fatal if it gets into the lungs. Simply removing it is safe, but never try to take one apart.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:09 pm

I replaced the failed microwave in my Broadway and the fixing method seemed the same; four screws randomly placed and pot luck which bit of the base they hit. As it was a different make I also had to take pot luck on the location and it was tricky getting the electric drill in the space below to make the hole. Three seemed to hold so it seems OK for now.
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:11 pm

The rattles from the microwave are the bits inside for the turntable, I am in the process of trying to find a flat bed microwave in the correct size to fit the cabinet, this should be silent as no moving parts, we use a flatbed in the house with no heating problems

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:01 pm

Dometic do a flatbed especially made for motorhomes,  probably  the model AS now use

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:17 pm

I think that’s what we had in our 2020 Warwick.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Microwave Problems Empty Microwave

Post by Caught1once Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:10 pm

Many thanks for your reply’s to my question, a/s have now agreed to supply a replacement new unit under warranty, Let’s hope this will at least last a reasonable time 

Ken
Caught1once
Caught1once

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham pvc

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:55 pm

rgermain wrote:I never had a problem with the screws holding the microwave secure, however the problem will never be now, m/w is now stored in the garage.

We only used it once and now tend to only use cheap CL etc sites with no EHU.

have found the extra cupboard space very handy, store toilet rolls etc and very handy for cakes or flans when in France, I say when!

I have now fitted a Tambour slatted door which has been mentioned on this site by others, thank you David.
---------
Richard
Like you & David we are pretty much decided on the tambour door option.
Having removed the microwave what do you all do about the exposed vent to the outside world...blank it off completely or put a mesh type piece over it? Also have you left the wiring in situ in case it is needed again in the future.
Any other tips?
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:52 pm

It's a pity that the advantage of having a microwave in an modern van has been affected by it's poor fixation from A-S. Almost immediately after we bought our Kemerton XL our son sitting in our third seat reported how much the microwave rattled when we were on the road.. ASOF had a thread about this, someone using Rivnuts even to replace the existing fixings to fasten it tight down.

I took a different approach. To stop the movement that up and down forces might stress the mounting when driving along a bumpy road, I pushed a short length of silicon tube between the top of of the microwave and it's surround, it pushes the microwave down, it prevent the upward travel of the microwave which would otherwise loosen the microwaves bottom fixings. We have had no further issue with the microwave becoming loose and rattling.

Though we have so far only used our van's microwave during our recent holiday we have just bought a plastic microwave-OK steamer from Morrisons, for fish, rice, cooking baked beans, and lots of other possibilities that don't involve us having to use the gas hob or oven at our expense, instead with the microwave we can use electricity from our EHU.

Last edited by Relaxez-Vous on Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:01 pm

I don't have problem withe the microwave coming loose in the WXL it the rattling from moving parts for the turntable that's annoying, I am ordering the Dometic flat bed one tomorrow to replace it

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:17 pm

Our microwave's turn table and glass plate in bubble wrap are stored in a locker.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:23 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:Our microwave's turn table and glass plate in bubble wrap are stored in a locker.
So are ours it’s the internal bits that’s rattling

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:46 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:

Though we have so far only used our van's microwave during our recent holiday we have just bought a plastic microwave-OK steamer from Morrisons, for fish, rice, cooking baked beans, and lots of other possibilities that don't involve us having to use the gas hob or oven at our expense, instead with the microwave we can use electricity from our EHU.
When on EHU we sometimes use a small Vango induction hob, either inside or outside (using the power socket by the side door) which is incredibly quick and easy to use. It is very easy to store and is designed for low power so fine to use even on 10amp sites.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel C Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:26 am

Removed ours and converted to cupboard. Autosleeper had several attempts at securing without success, would last a trip then work loose again. As well as being a poor design it is potentially very dangerous if had accident, four little screws would soon fail and release the microwave to fly up the van!
Mel C
Mel C

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:26 am

Mel C wrote:Removed ours and converted to cupboard. Autosleeper had several attempts at securing without success, would last a trip then work loose again. As well as being a poor design it is potentially very dangerous if had accident, four little screws would soon fail and release the microwave to fly up the van!

Be bad enough if it fell on your foot!
When i take one on a long winter trip with EHU, i carry it in the shower tray.Then on the worktop for use.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Mel C likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:11 pm

A-S has fitted different makes of microwaves, the 2018 owners manual we have for our 2019 Kemerton XL has info for a Daewoo KOR-6L6BD when actually A-S fitted our van with a Russell Hobbs model number RHM2076 (B) (S) according to the supplied instruction booklet. Perhaps this is the reason our microwave doesn't rattle?

Interesting to speculate how come they changed the model of microwave they fitted. It could just be they needed to re-stock and got a better deal from another supplier.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinktwo Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Link to the Dometic Microwave for motorhomes that has no turntable and no moving parts £170 https://camperinteriors.co.uk/products/dometic-mwo-240-motorhome-microwave-oven-230-v as highlighted by Paul
Kevinktwo
Kevinktwo

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:40 pm

I bought of eBay for £149 with next day delivery, arrives tomorrow, I also used quidco and got money back

Ebay item number 264901634484

Male

Kevinktwo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next