The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident v Topaz

4 posters

Go down

Trident v Topaz Empty Trident v Topaz

Post by India Hannaford Tue May 04, 2021 11:59 pm

I have an R reg Trident, low mileage, petrol all refurbished just had all rust sorted everything working newish fridge, electrics updated BUT at age 74 this year I am finding the rock n roll bed tedious and also the lack of
space when the bed is down. Reliable engine regularly serviced just sailed through MOT. Have just seen a Topaz for sale also low mileage diesel £19995. The thing is do I sell my Trident for the Topaz. Stuck with it because of the 4 forward facing seatbelts for my grandchildren but they've only used it twice in about 9 years and they are 14 and 12 now. The Topaz is with a dealer about 45 minutes away. HELP!!!
India Hannaford
India Hannaford

Female

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Trident v Topaz Empty Re: Trident v Topaz

Post by KMRTOPAZ Wed May 05, 2021 12:06 am

I think you have already decided !  The Topaz has everything you need for independent motorhoming.  The shower/loo is a real bonus.  The Trident is a fine vehicle but suited more to the younger brigade.  I am biased !
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

India Hannaford likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed May 05, 2021 12:31 am

If you haven't already looked at the Topaz, I would do that immediately. Under £20k is a fairly low price for a Topaz in the current market conditions - the one thing (I would suggest) you don't want to do is go from a Trident that has just had all the rust sorted, to a Topaz that needs all the rust sorted!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed May 05, 2021 5:56 am

I had a look at a couple of younger Topaz vans a few years back and both had cracks around the shower basin/ floor in the rear of the van, lovely looking van ,think about body corrosion as others have mentioned.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by India Hannaford Wed May 05, 2021 6:49 am

Thank you everyone - it's a big decision. I will go and have a look at it. Yes Roopert that is my dilemma, my Trident has been so well maintained, such a reliable engine, starts first time every time is it better the devil I know? This one is with a dealer and I would expect to trade mine in. I know I would get more for mine if I sold it privately. I travel 'home' to Devon a lot and I want to stay smallish on the narrow roads otherwise I would be looking at an older Nuevo.
India Hannaford
India Hannaford

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by India Hannaford Wed May 05, 2021 7:07 am

My other thoughts are once people are allowed to travel abroad there maybe lots of vans on the market next year - should I wait? I think my Trident should hold its price.
India Hannaford
India Hannaford

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by India Hannaford Wed May 05, 2021 7:18 am

At £21995 there's a 2004 Peugeot Boxer. Are we paying too much for van conversions?
India Hannaford
India Hannaford

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by India Hannaford Wed May 05, 2021 3:07 pm

Well - an eye opener. I wouldn't have touched the Topaz for £1000 let alone £19,999. Really tatty and unloved. It was quite a smart place, mainly motor homes. I was offered £10,000 for my immaculate Trident (he knew I'd refuse) suggested I sold it privately for about £17,000. Shows how much the dealers make. Interesting though as I looked at lots of motor homes, amazing how dated the upholstery soon becomes. So my Sewell stays in the drive and is loved and cared for and granny will just have to put up with the rock n roll bed and tiny portapotti!!!!!!
India Hannaford
India Hannaford

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed May 05, 2021 3:49 pm

I'm not surprised - a good T4-based Topaz seems to be £25k and above in these hysterical times. I suspect that you're right and there will be a glut of unwanted motorhomes in a year or so time.

One thing I really dislike about dealers is how little effort many are prepared to put in for their profit margin. At a guess, that dealer probably paid the previous owner £14k for it at most, and expects to be "knocked down" to £19k. I wouldn't mind if they put some work into making vans look a bit tidier, but most of them just can't be 4rsed...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by India Hannaford Wed May 05, 2021 3:54 pm

The Topaz came from Brownhills as is was too old for them to sell and too scruffy no doubt. I wonder how much Brownhills traded it in for - £7/8000 at best.
India Hannaford
India Hannaford

Female

Back to top Go down