The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz/Trident Side Window Black Surround

+4
biffobear
repoort
-mojo-
shirelets
8 posters

Go down

Topaz/Trident Side Window Black Surround Empty Topaz/Trident Side Window Black Surround

Post by shirelets Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi all, we have a 2002 Topaz here in sunny Cumbria.

Offside rear black plastic window surround (above sink) held on by 9 short screws (some not holding) is coming away from the body at the back. Signs of non original mastic round the edge so maybe attempt at fix by previous owner. Think best fix is to remove surround completely, repair some of the screw holes in which the screws don’t grip (do they go into wood, plastic or body metal?) and remastic surround to body - I assume.

But I don’t understand how the sink window glass is fitted, whether into the body so the surround can be removed leaving the glass in situ and sealed, or whether glass is somehow fixed to the surround so removing it will open a can of large worms! Unwilling to prise off surround from its bed of mastic until I understand about the window.

Be most appreciated if anyone can advise. Thanks.
shirelets
shirelets

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Not Yet!

Back to top Go down

Topaz/Trident Side Window Black Surround Empty Re: Topaz/Trident Side Window Black Surround

Post by -mojo- Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:35 pm

I've never owned one, but I was under the impression that a Topaz of that age would have been based on the T4 window van - so the windows at the back are the original VW factory fitted ones, mostly covered over with the black vacuum formed panels on the outside and trim panels on the inside. Does this sound credible from what you can see of yours?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Topaz/Trident Side Window Black Surround Empty Re: Topaz/Trident Side Window Black Surround

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Understand your problem, but can't relate to "sunny Cumbria??!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:19 pm

...assuming that there is a window behind the panel, then a bit of lateral thinking could be to ditch the cover altogether, and have the window fitted with a very dark tint, whilst maintaining - or enlarging - the original clear section.

.....and, we do have plenty of sunshine here in Cumbria; it's just that the cloud covers it up sometimes.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:54 pm

The black plastic window surround would have originally be fixed (screwed) into wooden batterns. These wooden batterns would have been glued to the glass. Over the years the adhesive would give way as result of water ingress and the black panel distorting, resulting in extreme cases of the black panel being blown off when travelling.

Some owners have tried to seal the gap between the black panel and the metal work usually resulting in a mess.

As Mojo has already said the windows are the original vw glass from the base window van before conversion.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:39 am

confused0 I had a similar problem with my Montana which is based on the Mercedes Vito. The previous owner (Greenways) said the the mossynet and silver blind on the back window fell off with the mounting board, so he had the blackout paint removed and had some black streachy curtains fitted with top and bottom curtain rail. Thankfully he kept everything that had fallen off.  I had the rear window re-painted and fitted the mounting board as it would have been originally, with a screw into the plastic surround or frame of the window and a small amount of sicaflex on two wooden spacers that are bonded to the glass and screwed to the afore mention surround A bit of a bodge I think but it seems to work as long as you don’t slam the up and over back door. One thing I can’t quiet understand is, why do I need a mozzy blind on the rear window?....as it dos’nt open! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by shirelets Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Well thanks everyone except Ian H who obviously hasn’t been to Cumbria in the sun - glorious here today, toddled up Blencathra!

I didn’t realise T4 vans originally had that small window - it’s about the size biffobear has covered up with his fridge duct and there is same size one above the cooker on the other side. If that really is the case, then I can cheerfully prise off the black surround and hopefully plug the screw holes in the wood with dowel and redrill so screws will be secure. So would the plastic surround originally not have been mastic fixed to the body at all, just relying on the screw fixings?

shirelets
shirelets

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:02 pm

It would just have relied on the screw fixings, no mastic. You may find your black panel is a little distorted and will not provide a snug fit to the bodywork.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:21 pm

I replaced my plastic cover over the off side window, as the NS was vinyl wrapped when I bought it, wanted it to match, 

I took off the 9 pieces of wood very carefully, they are stuck on, after unscrewing the panel, the window is bigger than what you see , it is the original VW T4 window, I cleaned the window then took it to be vinyl wrapped, cost me £60 which I think is well worth it, looks more modern and a neater job. 

If I can take off the wood pieces without breaking the window,  anyone can. I took my time, then cleaned remaining gunge  off with sticky stuff remover

The panels are obsolete now, so well worth changing, in my opinion.because later they will probably break,  as plastic goes brittle.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:43 pm

shirelets wrote:I didn’t realise T4 vans originally had that small window  - it’s about the size biffobear has covered up with his fridge duct and there is same size one above the cooker on the other side.  If that really is the case

No, it's not the case. If your van really does have a window the size of Biffobear's fridge vent, it's not at all like most of us have seen on other Topaz/Tridents, and it is not an original T4 "window van" window.

If the window is not full-sized, filling the whole of the side panel of the van like the windows further forward, and masked to make only a part of it visible, then you have a completely different implementation than is normally seen on that model.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shirelets Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Well, have a look at these - indeed a full size window behind black surround after a difficult hour prising it off mastic and double sided tape!
Previous owner believed that window had been broken into in the past, so not sure if everything is Autosleeper original. In fact surprised window glass doesn’t go right to the back of the bodywork indentation - perhaps if was broken, not replaced with full sized one and been botched?? Maybe originally there wasn’t a ton of mastic and half a ton of double sided sticky tape, anyone know for sure - I’m certainly not taking off the other side surround to find out!
First I need to refit the two battens that came off with surround back to the body panel behind the glass, irrespective of whether glass is right size or not! . Anyone recommend best mastic or know what Autosleeper used, seems a real good quality black type.
I will try and see if Autosleeper prepared to chat to me to find out if the copious mastic and tape is original, and if so ask them about type of mastic too.
Also whether plastic sealing strip that goes round hole in surround for small window aperture should be sealed to the glass with mastic, indeed whether the outer surround likewise, or whether as window is factory sealed to body, no point sealing anything on the surround.
The easy bit will be repairing the worn screw holes in the battens so the screws hold properly!
Hope this makes sense and if anyone can shed further light, sure will help quite a few folks in the future who have problems with these surrounds.
shirelets
shirelets

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shirelets Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
shirelets
shirelets

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncleron Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:08 pm

I am sure they use a black adhesive product available in tubes called Sikaflex to bond in windscreens and other items on to glass - Maybe that would work to bond the battens to the glass etc.....
Uncleron
Uncleron

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by twopeepsandtheirdog Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi
I have a similar problem except mine was actually blown off and not to be found, I have an origonal VW T4 and my side rear window cover blew off whilst driving home on A272 would like to find a replacement any help would be gratefully received help!
twopeepsandtheirdog
twopeepsandtheirdog

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Transporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:51 pm

In the last clearance list from AS , offside panels were still listed. Worth trying AS parts dept to see if any still left.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by twopeepsandtheirdog Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Ta muchly
How do i get in touch with them
twopeepsandtheirdog
twopeepsandtheirdog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm

twopeepsandtheirdog wrote:Ta muchly
How do i get in touch with them

By far the easiest way is to put the word "Autosleepers" into your favourite internet search tool, and then follow the link to Autosleepers' home page, where you will find their phone number. If you call that and ask for the parts department I'm sure they will oblige.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by twopeepsandtheirdog Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Many thanks I will give them a bell allthumbz
twopeepsandtheirdog
twopeepsandtheirdog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by twopeepsandtheirdog Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Just to say many thanks for assistance, I did contact AS parts dept. they sais that the Trophy n/s exterior cover was made pacifically for them and that I would not be able to get a new one as they have been discontinued only hope would either be a breakers or eBay, I will carry on looking so again many thanks for your help.
Regards
Tom allthumbz

Last edited by twopeepsandtheirdog on Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left wording out)
twopeepsandtheirdog
twopeepsandtheirdog

Male

Back to top Go down