The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz vs Trident - Beds & Shower

+4
Robstopaz
Dave 418
Kipperozzy
Jimleach
8 posters

Go down

Topaz vs Trident - Beds & Shower Empty Topaz vs Trident - Beds & Shower

Post by Jimleach Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:58 am

Hi all, we are in the early stages of looking for a van, to replace our much-loved Eriba caravan. Initially, we were looking for a trident, however, having viewed a couple, we are concerned that the bed is super narrow. This led us to start considering a Topaz but are concerned about the bigger double being a bit of a faff to set up the bed. The functionality of a separate toilet is also appealing as we find the toilet in our Eriba pretty invaluable. 

So I'm throwing it out there to glean from everyone's experience, as anyone owned both over the years? and what are your experiences of sleeping in both?

I am also intrigued as to how useful the shower is in the Topaz?
Jimleach
Jimleach

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Non
Vehicle Year : Non

Wrinkly Old Hippy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Topaz vs Trident - Beds & Shower Empty Re: Topaz vs Trident - Beds & Shower

Post by Kipperozzy Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:59 pm

Hi Jim, the topaz beds are set up by turning the passenger seat and drivers seats round on their swivels, this is easy enough to do. They can stay as 2 singles or by using a couple of infill cushions becomes a double which is the full width of the van and around 6 feet long .The shower is fine to use , close over the sliding doors and there are also nylon shower screens and water drains out of the tray into the waste tank. Time showering depends on the water heater (gas or electric on hookup) capacity !
Kipperozzy
Kipperozzy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:10 pm

We made a list of what we wanted from our first van including a washroom and be small enough for me to use for every day transport to work. As I said in your introduction the Topaz was very far up our list of vans to look at.
Looking at Lincoln show a lot of vans were advertised as having 6ft beds but a dealer measured the double in a Topaz and found it was 5ft 8”. It was a shame because the washroom at the back would have been as we required. Also the VW T4 is a narrower van making it useable for daily transport.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Robstopaz Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:16 pm

Hi Jim,
We had a 2008 Topaz for 10 years for the 2 of us plus Tess our Golden Retriever. The rear shower/toilet compartment was excellent for the size of the van. The beds were ok, I am 5-8. Anyone approaching 6ft might find it too short. The T5 2.5 is a great van to drive, we now have a Stanway which has a much more commercial feel about it.
Overall I would say the rear bathroom is a big plus over other conversions. The Stanway also has a good layout for us with 2 Golden Retrievers!!
Robstopaz
Robstopaz

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2015

peachtea likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kipperozzy Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:08 pm

From the autosleeper website
Single bed near side 6 foot 1 inch long by 1 foot 10 wide, offside is 5 foot 10 inch long by 1 foot 10 wide, double is 5 foot 10 by 4 foot 10
Kipperozzy
Kipperozzy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:25 pm

Hi Jim, we have a T5 Trident and yes the bed is narrow however over the last 5 years of ownership we've found it very comfortable. Of course in the begining you bang elbows on the side of the van or the furniture when turning over but soon learn not to. We're both on the large side and i'm 6'5" We looked at the Topaz and the Symbol both seemed to have everything we wanted but l just couldn't fit!! So we bought a Trident. We only use campsites so showers are always available. In fact we seldom use the sink or water/waste tanks preferring to use washup facilities on site which avoids the faff of draining/filling water tanks each day. Good luck with your search.
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrinkly Old Hippy Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:57 pm

Hi Jim we have a Trooper which is the same layout as a Trident, just a different roof. You’re right the bed is narrow, but extremely comfortable. We’ve slept in one for many nights over 20 years.  Each couple is different so the best thing is to have a dealer pull the bed out, take your shoes off and both lay down on it.
Wrinkly Old Hippy
Wrinkly Old Hippy

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrinkly Old Hippy Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:58 pm

Hi Jim we have a Trooper which is the same layout as a Trident, just a different roof. You’re right the bed is narrow, but extremely comfortable. We’ve slept in one for many nights over 20 years.  Each couple is different so the best thing is to have a dealer pull the bed out, take your shoes off and both lay down on it.
Wrinkly Old Hippy
Wrinkly Old Hippy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:09 am

The most valuable thing I read online when we got our first van was when somebody commented, "The first 10 nights or so are about learning how to get comfortable."

Not, probably, so relevant in your case, but I've always thought it was a good general guideline to give to new campervanners. That, and saving space to carry proper pillows!
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrinkly Old Hippy Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:08 am

Exxcellent advice. Pillows double up as cushions, ours travel on the back seat, vertically behind the rucksakcs that we strap onto the seat with the seat belts.
Wrinkly Old Hippy
Wrinkly Old Hippy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi533163 Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:47 pm

We have a 2000 T4 Topaz.  We are in year three of ownership and it was our first van.     The king size (it really is) double bed takes about 6-8 mins to set up.  There are three essential in fill cushions. One van I looked at had these missing.  Two more which flatten the front seats. I am 6’1” and Mrs Topaz 5’5”.  I sleep on the near side and roll the front seat all the way forward and I can sleep straight. Same for Mrs T on the offside.  We use a king size Panda mattress topper and the bed is super comfy and wide.  Easy to get up to go to the loo or make a brew in the morning. So far we love the T4 topaz.  Other tips. Use propane gas and swap spot light bulbs to led.
yogi533163
yogi533163

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down