The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol 2018 Water Pump & Tank dropping

+2
MelB
SENTINEL
6 posters

Go down

Symbol 2018 Water Pump & Tank dropping Empty Symbol 2018 Water Pump & Tank dropping

Post by SENTINEL Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:29 pm

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere....I have found information on the Forum about replacing a failed submersible Whale pump on many models, but not specifically on a fairly recent Symbol. (Ours is 2018)
Has anyone dropped the tank and replaced the pump and if so is it a matter of "simply" dropping the tank, but are there any other things to be aware of such as sensor wires, tank heater wraps (we have those but have never used them) etc?
(An upgrade to a Shurflo on board pump is another option but possibly not at this point in the season....)
Thanks in advance....
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Symbol 2018 Water Pump & Tank dropping Empty Re: Symbol 2018 Water Pump & Tank dropping

Post by MelB Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:17 am

Direct contact with Whale Support Team might help.

Hello,
Please contact our Whale Customer Support Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. Contact details below.  
Tel: 02891 270531 (weekdays) or 0845 217 2933 (weekends)
Email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Alternatively send me the best number to get you on in a private message and I will get one of our team to give you a call.  
Best wishes
Hayley

Advice from others on the forum, specifically relating to your van, will surely follow.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Symbol 2018 Water Pump & Tank dropping Empty Re: Symbol 2018 Water Pump & Tank dropping

Post by Dbvwt Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:11 am

Unfortunately I don’t think the Whale team will be able to help with the specifics of the Symbol tank.

Sentinel, this is just my take on it from the times I’ve crawled under my van.
The tank itself is just a couple of brackets hung from some threaded rod. 4 nuts and it should be free. With the tank supported (and obviously empty!!) you will then be able to assess the wiring situation. I suspect there will be enough slack to get in and change the pump.
I haven’t dropped my tank but that’s my feeling.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:52 am

MelB wrote:Direct contact with Whale Support Team might help.

Hello,
Please contact our Whale Customer Support Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. Contact details below.  
Tel: 02891 270531 (weekdays) or 0845 217 2933 (weekends)
Email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Alternatively send me the best number to get you on in a private message and I will get one of our team to give you a call.  
Best wishes
Hayley

Advice from others on the forum, specifically relating to your van, will surely follow.
Thank you but the problem is really how to get at the pump itself.
Thanks for the contact info though.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:59 am

Dbvwt wrote:Unfortunately I don’t think the Whale team will be able to help with the specifics of the Symbol tank.

Sentinel, this is just my take on it from the times I’ve crawled under my van.
The tank itself is just a couple of brackets hung from some threaded rod. 4 nuts and it should be free. With the tank supported (and obviously empty!!) you will then be able to assess the wiring situation. I suspect there will be enough slack to get in and change the pump.
I haven’t dropped my tank but that’s my feeling.
Thank you, we're going to have a good look over the weekend and assess the situation. The main problems are the small height clearance under the Symbol, the amount of slack in the wiring, the numerous sensors and old age (ours, not the Symbol)!
We'll update here accordingly!
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:25 pm

There is a screw cap on the top of the tank that will allow you to access the pump.

When you are looking consider:

will putting one pair of wheels at the top of levelling blocks give enough space for you to work on the van?

Are the plumbing and wiring connections located such that you can just loosen the nuts of either the front or back fixing strap and completely remove the nuts at the other end so that the tank can be rotated to say 45° from the horizontal to unscrew the cap without completely disconnecting removing the tank?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:45 pm

Peter Brown wrote:There is a screw cap on the top of the tank that will allow you to access the pump.

When you are looking consider:

will putting one pair of wheels at the top of levelling blocks give enough space for you to work on the van?

Are the plumbing and wiring connections located such that you can just loosen the nuts of  either the front or back fixing strap and completely remove the nuts at the other end so that the tank can be rotated to say 45° from the horizontal to unscrew the cap without completely disconnecting removing the tank?
Thank you....good suggestions. Will have a look and see.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:51 pm

Peter Brown wrote:There is a screw cap on the top of the tank that will allow you to access the pump.
Do you know if the screw cap is in the middle of the top of the tank or to one end or the other?
Many thanks
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:54 pm

Sorry cant help with that. there should be a gap between the top of the tank and the floor of the van so you may be able to get a photo with a phone or use a torch and mirror to check.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:48 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Sorry cant help with that.  there should be a gap between the top of the tank and the floor of the van so you may be able to get a photo with a phone or use a torch and mirror to check.
Ok, will investigate further.
Many thanks
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:14 pm

Before diving in replacing the pump check the wiring connections on the short length of cable from the pump where it meets  wiring from the van . It sits on top of the tank , between tank and underside of van floor so dropping tank  a few inches will, allow access . The factory did not use proper crimping pliers to make  off the joints in my van ( looked like a brick and a hammer had been used ! . A wrap of tape over this and 2 years later the factory connections fell, apart in my hands. 
Several members have also had this happen so worth checking first and if already in possession of a new pump it can always be kept as a spare!
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:41 pm

kaspian wrote:Before diving in replacing the pump check the wiring connections on the short length of cable from the pump where it meets  wiring from the van . It sits on top of the tank , between tank and underside of van floor so dropping tank  a few inches will, allow access . The factory did not use proper crimping pliers to make  off the joints in my van ( looked like a brick and a hammer had been used ! . A wrap of tape over this and 2 years later the factory connections fell, apart in my hands. 
Several members have also had this happen so worth checking first and if already in possession of a new pump it can always be kept as a spare!
Thank you for the tip!
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:45 pm

This user explains he replaced his pump through the sump drain cover (no need to drop tank)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(I think you have seen this before)
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:52 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:This user explains he replaced his pump through the sump drain cover (no need to drop tank)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(I think you have seen this before)
Thank you for the link, but actually can't see a sump drain cover on our Symbol. Perhaps obscured by tank heater pad or maybe the 2014 Kemerton is a bit different? Not sure whether all these tanks are of the same type and fixed in the same way.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sat May 01, 2021 10:27 am

Have you considered a fix via the warranty?

The AS warranty is 3 years on the conversion. I had Sargent parts replaced after 2 years 11 months even though the Sargent warranty is 12 months.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Sat May 01, 2021 10:51 am

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:Have you considered a fix via the warranty?

The AS warranty is 3 years on the conversion.  I had Sargent parts replaced after 2 years 11 months even though the Sargent warranty is 12 months.
AS warranty expired 3 months ago
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down