The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windscreen Covers?

+12
burlingtonboaby
Caraman
steamdrivenandy
rogerblack
Tinwheeler
Kdc
Paulmold
Spospe
Cymro
groundhog
Peter Brown
KPUK
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Windscreen Covers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Windscreen Covers?

Post by Gromit Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:20 am

groundhog wrote:All I would add is that if you are leaving screens on for extended periods such as over winter then Silver screens say they are not designed for this and you should not do it. Taylormade on the other hand are the opposite and say leave them on as long as you want.
Silverscreens are correct.

The silver coating came off on ours - although this was some years ago, so they may be better now?

No problem at all with Taylormade.  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:39 am

Gromit wrote:
groundhog wrote:All I would add is that if you are leaving screens on for extended periods such as over winter then Silver screens say they are not designed for this and you should not do it. Taylormade on the other hand are the opposite and say leave them on as long as you want.
Silverscreens are correct.

The silver coating came off on ours - although this was some years ago, so they may be better now?

No problem at all with Taylormade.  up!
My call to them was a couple of years ago so I suspect they are still the same unless anything has changed very recently. My Taylormade ones have been on for two winters now and look as good as new. The screen we have for the summer is a silverscreens vision so no bias either way from me.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:49 am

My Silverscreen has been on since October and this is it's 6th winter of use. No degradation whatsoever. A bit green round the edges, but a little Stardrops and hose off and it's as good as new.
However the van is parked up facing directly North, so little chance of sun damage during the winter months.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:46 am

We were convinced silver screens were a necessity but since buying ours we now never use them as getting them out and putting them on is a faf and taking them off and storing them after they’ve got wet is even more of a faf... I’m convinced most people have them to shut themselves away in their motorhomes out of site from everyone else, as soon as they arrive on site or at the shows the very first thing they do is out with their silver screens and that’s it till they leave, we like a view out of the van and plenty of light, not shutting ourselves away in the dark, for the most part it’s not cold enough for most people to warrant their use for the inconvenience of storage and the faffing around when you can just draw a pair of curtains or blinds from inside. Just my opinion.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

SENTINEL and KPUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:11 am

CC wrote:We were convinced silver screens were a necessity but since buying ours we now never use them as getting them out and putting them on is a faf and taking them off and storing them after they’ve got wet is even more of a faf... I’m convinced most people have them to shut themselves away in their motorhomes out of site from everyone else, as soon as they arrive on site or at the shows the very first thing they do is out with their silver screens and that’s it till they leave, we like a view out of the van and plenty of light, not shutting ourselves away in the dark, for the most part it’s not cold enough for most people to warrant their use for the inconvenience of storage and the faffing around when you can just draw a pair of curtains or blinds from inside. Just my opinion.
My experience in UK is that it is cold enough to use them Oct/Nov to March/Apr which is when we use ours.  We don't take ours with us for the rest of the year.  The Taylormade has a large central section secured with velcro which drops down in the daytime which allows a good view outside.  Once we are up in the morning we open the front concertina blind and drop the central section down.  There are undoubtedly some who keep their front blind shut regardless of the time of year with or without an external cover but I wouldn't say that most do.  But if they do, it is their choice.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:25 am

We cant use any of our concertina blinds as the cats try to claw them open so its curtains that they can get behind to see out and silver screens on the front. The centre panel of the silver screen folds down and is only closed during bed time.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:47 am

"certainly another polarising subject..".....1st line of my 1st post...😉
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:59 pm

A Huge 'Thank You!' to everyone who replied to our query - fantastic - really appreciated!

Your experiences and suggestions are all very helpful and have given us much to consider...

up!

Karen and Phil
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2