The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windscreen Covers?

+12
burlingtonboaby
Caraman
steamdrivenandy
rogerblack
Tinwheeler
Kdc
Paulmold
Spospe
Cymro
groundhog
Peter Brown
KPUK
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Windscreen Covers? Empty Windscreen Covers?

Post by KPUK Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:01 am

Hi Everyone... up!

Can we ask if anyone has any experience, comments, or recommendations about the need/ benefits of using windscreen covers (thermal/ sun protection)?

We have a Symbol Plus and obviously storage space is not unlimited so we're trying to weigh up if this is something which is a 'must have', or just a luxury.

BIG thanks in advance for any replies... 

allthumbz

Karen and Phil

Last edited by KPUK on Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Windscreen Covers? Empty Re: Windscreen Covers?

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:07 am

Don't know what the link is?

Good quality (taylor Made or Silverscreen) external screens are ideal for insulating the windscreen without causing condensation in the winter and screening from the sun when temperatures get into the thirties and higher. They travel in the shower and are on the screen when pitched - only takes a couple of mins when you are used to them.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

RogerThat and KPUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:19 am

We have the taylormade external covers for the winter and see through vision screens for the summer which are more than adequate, lightweight and having the ability to see out but people cant see in is excellent!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:19 am

There are several threads on this topic, debating the merits or otherwise of internal v. external screens, TaylorMade v. SilverScreen etc etc.

I've tried one of each over the last 30 years. That's why I have an external screen (no condensation) by TaylorMade.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

RogerThat and KPUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:21 am

I agree with Peter. In practice I prefer the external screens because they are more efficient at reducing condensation. It is true that when it is wet, they are a bit of a pain to fit and later-on, store, before moving-on. They can be fitted very quickly with practice and if the weather (wind-rain) is really bad, don't fit them!
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:27 am

Hi Peter,

Sorry, the ‘link’ was a cut/ paste error - now edited... up!

Thank you for the reply, Taylor Made were one of the brands we were looking at (and the shower area was under consideration for transportation), we'll have a look at the other make.

We were really just wondering whether the hassle factor of storing/ deploying/ packing away this kit while on a tour was worth it for the average British summer/ winter temperatures?

We're just trying to gauge if it's an essential bit of kit, or a matter of preference/ choice and what other users have found - bearing in mind we're complete newbies...

(Note - we've tried searching the forum about this without success, though this is probably down to a technique failure on our part!).

Karen and Phil

Last edited by KPUK on Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:30 am

I'm assuming  you've got  internal concertina  blinds but if you want to lock out the light in summer then I can recommend  these ....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They fold up into a bag about 12"x8"

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:39 am

I agree with spospe’s and peters view. The one thing I will add is that if it is wet I fold it into a black plastic sack and either put it back on at next site or take it home and dry it.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:39 am

certainly another polarising subject....i have considered one many times but have so far desisted....
for summer time, even abroad, id say the built in Remis blinds will act as sunshades...the real issue is whether you tour sufficiently in winter to make use....we tour in Spain in winter so not an issue.
in the UK would i want to be covered in by these blinds?...as we have a front lounge van, that would be no...you have a symbol so the same thoughts might occur.
rear lounge van, might be different to block out (unused) cab area...
then theres the issue of several days rain...sopping wet covers that either get left on the van or you have to go out (in the rain) to bring them in (wet) and do what with them..
you have no garage or outside storage so they have to come inside the van...in the shower?...no thanks....it for showering. what do you do with the wet covers if you havent showered?
luckily, we have a thick insulating inside front blind which is pretty good for keeping the cab warm, if we didnt have that, again, id give more consideration...but we have a garage they can be thrown in...
i reckon it depends on where you tour, time of year, tolerance to hastle and ability to manage/store wet covers in a tiny van.
there you are...polarisation.up!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:40 am

Removed as posted twice!
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:25 pm

Paulmold wrote:I'm assuming  you've got  internal concertina  blinds but if you want to lock out the light in summer then I can recommend  these ....

They fold up into a bag about 12"x8"
Hi Paul,
Thank you for the recommendation, we'll certainly check this option out... up!

Karen and Phil
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:51 pm

We have a Taylormade as well and it is excellent. It will store in its bag under the nearside bunk but, as space is limited, it's not ideal so it often lives in the cab when on site and on the floor when travelling. 

We don't take the screen with us in June to Sept as condensation isn't a problem then but do use it outside of those months.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:59 pm

if you fancy proper thermal screens but like the look of the black finish, try Minster Products....they have the fold down 'privacy' section..

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:03 pm

We have the extended length three part Taylormade set which covers the scuttle and has Velcro joins so the top or bottom can be raised/lowered to let light in without removing it completely.

Carried and utilised throughout the year. Used in the winter to keep the cab area warm and free of condensation, also when the van is not in use; used in the summer to keep the early morning light out (the hab windows all have internal blackout blinds but the cab windows don't) and to prevent overheating when it's hot and sunny, plus when the van is not in use to prevent the upholstery from fading.

If rolled tightly they compress and can be stowed using only half the length of the supplied bag. If wet they travel unbagged in the shower.

Worth their weight in gold to us.

PS Chris, those black ones look really smart especially toning in with your van colour scheme - however don't they get very hot in the sun? The silver ones are great for reflecting summer heat away, especially when we're down in the warmer climes of France.

Last edited by rogerblack on Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS added)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Roger, not my van....cant answer the heat question...however, seem to be the covers of choice on my own forum....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:33 pm

bolero boy wrote:if you fancy proper thermal screens but like the look of the black finish, try Minster Products....they have the fold down 'privacy' section..
Hi Chris,  Thank you for the suggestion, we’ll certainly check this option out...  up!

Karen and Phil
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:02 pm

When we had our first Transit based PVC in 2006 to 2008 we bought Taylormade and used them often, especially after one particular morning in Scotland when we needed to depart early and the even the heated windscreen system and aircon wouldn't clear it.

We bought another set for our 2008 to 2010 sojourn with an Adria Compact and especially noticed that sitting in the cab at night was much cosier with the cover fitted. The Adria had a big 'garage' under the rear double bed, so we could store the cover in there, rather than the shower.

Then it was caravans 'til 2018 'til last June and funnily enough I never thought of a windscreen cover and never had a problem which would have prompted me to get one. It's really only this thread that's reminded me of them.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:05 pm

I would say they are essential for the cold months when heat loss in the cab and condensation are greatest.  We don't have a need for them in the Summer months as we also have the internal concertina blinds.  Ours is a Taylormade and we are very happy with it.  It doesn't cover the scuttle and we don't regret that.  It travels in the shower and is deployed as soon as we are on site.  After a trip we dry it out in the conservatory and pack it away for the next trip.  We don't use it when the van is out of use.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:17 pm

I have fitted TM thermal screen covers to all my vans for the last 12 years, all have lasted the test of time.
My current van has had them on for 8 months during lockdown, I have a Hindermann Matt black privacy screen cover I put on when touring ,I keep them on at night and close the internal concertina screens too. nice and cosy.  up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:35 pm

Another tip - if you are concerned about space you could take camping chairs or a windscreen cover as you probably wont need the latter if you need the former.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:52 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:I have fitted TM thermal screen covers to all my vans for the last 12 years, all have lasted the test of time.
My current van has had them on for 8 months during lockdown, I have a Hindermann Matt black privacy screen cover I put on when touring ,I keep them on at night and close the internal concertina screens too. nice and cosy.  up!
Boaby
Are these available in the UK? 
Many thanks
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:18 am

SENTINEL wrote:
burlingtonboaby wrote:I have fitted TM thermal screen covers to all my vans for the last 12 years, all have lasted the test of time.
Boaby
Many thanks
I purchased my Hindermann Spectra summer screens from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Sentinel, click on "see all products". Hindermann screens will appear, I've had them attached to my X250 cabs , they fit perfectly on my Warwick X290.
They really do keep the cab cooler,especially in the full sun. up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:38 am

burlingtonboaby wrote:
SENTINEL wrote:
Boaby
Many thanks
I purchased my Hindermann Spectra summer screens from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Sentinel, click on "see all products". Hindermann screens will appear, I've had them attached to my X250 cabs , they fit perfectly on my Warwick X290.
They really do keep the cab cooler,especially in the full sun. up!
Boaby
Thank you Boaby,  smile!
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:05 am

all these top screens are pretty good and are effective in cold weather, the only point i would make is that, in a front lounge van like a Symbol, using this type of external blind in spring/summer time would mean having no view from the van.
as earlier, with rear lounge vans, folk can cover up the cab as that end of the van isnt used (much)....
every morning, once showered/dressed, the first thing i want to do is open the van up to the view of the world (we have a front lounge) as we eat breakfast and the last thing i want to do is to go outside to remove blinds in order to do that...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:15 am

All I would add is that if you are leaving screens on for extended periods such as over winter then Silver screens say they are not designed for this and you should not do it. Taylormade on the other hand are the opposite and say leave them on as long as you want.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next