The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot sliding door locking

5 posters

Go down

Peugeot sliding door locking Empty Peugeot sliding door locking

Post by Tudurmann Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:31 pm

I have reregistered on this forum so an introduction is first.  bow  Now to business 

The sliding door won't open. the central locking action can be heard but door stays fast. I cant gain access via cab doors or rear doors due to my home built security devices operating extremely well !

Has anyone else experience of this ?
Tudurmann
Tudurmann

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex EB
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Peugeot sliding door locking Empty Re: Peugeot sliding door locking

Post by Paulmold Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:38 pm

Mine did same after very hard frost, it was frozen to the rubber seal. The unlocking could be heard and then wouldn't re-lock but I doubt yours is frozen but perhaps simply stuck on the seal. If you can't gain access through another door so you can exert pressure from inside then I can't offer any other advice. Perhaps  you'll just have to upset neighbours with alarm going off but your home built devices may prevent  this.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tudurmann Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:40 pm

Thanks Paul. 

It's not frozen as all water buckets etc outside are now clear of ice. I check inside the van once or twice, or more, weekly for maintenance and this happened a week ago and is still fast. I have previously had frozen seals too but it's not that. As the cab and rear doors unlock electronically it must be the mechanical catch that's stuck. If no other ideas materialise I'll just have to break in somehow. I'll post my actions later. U
Tudurmann
Tudurmann

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:06 am

Are you using the master key ?  If you are trying to open the side door with the spare key fob, forget it.  
If you are using the key in the cab door to unlock, then again the side door wont unlock.
You would think the price we pay AS for these vans what should be a straightforward fob reprogramming could be done at the factory prior to sale.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Tudurmann Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:42 pm

Update on progress.

Decent weather has allowed me to carry on.

Couldn't get in to the van through cab doors as my security tie bar didn't allow enough room to break the device. At least it worked as intended ! 
Unfortunately I pulled on the door handle so much that I have rendered it ineffective and created myself a further problem.

I managed to gain entry through the rear doors although it took about 30 minutes to release my security device. This time without any damage and happy with the difficulty level of entry it provided.

The sliding door opened ok from inside. I removed the door panel to enable checking of the mechanics of the locking system. It took quite a while but eventually I found a cable had broken away from its plastic lever which is operated by the outside door handle. The section had broken where the cable attached and therefore the loose cable wasn't activating the lock. The solution would be to replace the handle unit and reconnect the cables etc. 

As an interim measure I decided to attach the cable, in position, set it with "Gorilla Glue" and leave for a 24 hour curing period. I have tested it today and its holding fine allowing locking and unlocking from outside the van.  up! I'll see how it goes as a permanent solution whilst ensuring I have easier access via the cab doors.

This experience makes you realise that internal security devices may give peace of mind but cause immense problems if the only available means of entry fails, as in this case.

Next job - To dismantle nearside cab door panel to rectify the outside door handle malfunction. think_smiley_46 

HAPPY DAYS
Tudurmann
Tudurmann

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:52 pm

That’s a bitter-sweet post, at least you have peace of mind that your security mods work reasonably well, albeit you had to suffer the inconvenience of having to breach them.

Good to know your temporary fix has worked but I think I’d be inclined not to rely on it as a permanent solution. Sod’s Law will apply eventually, and by definition at the most inconvenient moment!

If you’re able to post a picture of the part that failed that would be greatly appreciated, as you almost certainly won’t be the last to encounter the problem.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Tudurmann Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:33 pm

Kemerton-bath wrote:That’s a bitter-sweet post, at least you have peace of mind that your security mods work reasonably well, albeit you had to suffer the inconvenience of having to breach them.

Good to know your temporary fix has worked but I think I’d be inclined not to rely on it as a permanent solution. Sod’s Law will apply eventually, and by definition at the most inconvenient moment!

If you’re able to post a picture of the part that failed that would be greatly appreciated, as you almost certainly won’t be the last to encounter the problem.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim

Hi Tim.

Unfortunately I can't post a picture of the offending component within the sliding door panel as its inside/behind the panel covered by the metal structure of the door. My repair was done with the assembly in situ thus avoiding a very tricky removal. 

i am quietly confident that the repair will hold but agree that it should not be relied upon. Should it fail it will revert back to the original situation of inaccessibility from the outside but allowing opening from inside. When I have fixed the nearside door handle I will have 2 cab entry points in the event of Sod's Law occurring.

For others experiencing this I can advise of the symptoms and checks to carry out but at present photo and video evidence requires an endoscope. I understand these are available for use with a smart phone and I will be investing in one asap.
Tudurmann
Tudurmann

Male

Back to top Go down

Peugeot sliding door locking Empty Re: Sliding Door Locking.

Post by Dave D Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:39 am

Try putting neat washing up liquid on the door rubber, this might help especially in the winter months.
Dave D
Dave D

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down