The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 Symbol Step Button

5 posters

Go down

2016 Symbol Step Button Empty 2016 Symbol Step Button

Post by Gedders Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi All, Just been out to put my 2016 Symbol on charge & noticed that the electric step is not working. Electrics to it seem ok as I can manually take the terminals on & off to operate, although not recommended. Seems as though the plastic on & off button has failed. Has anyone else had a similar problem, how to dismantle etc, Too dark to investigate further but looks like a visit to Autosleepers spare parts website. Any tips greatly appreciated
Thanks, Gedders
Gedders
Gedders

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Auto-Sleeper Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

2016 Symbol Step Button Empty Re: 2016 Symbol Step Button

Post by Dbvwt Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:32 pm

When you say the ‘plastic on off button’ do you mean the one on the side of the single seat that is only visible when the slider door is opened?
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:56 pm

If switch is the push button type this previous  thread may help ( second time in two days I've posted this link, is ghe cold weather affecting these?)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gedders Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:27 pm

Yes it's the round push button type visible when the sliding door is opened. Looks as though the button is permanently depressed, will try some Thetford spray as suggested tomorrow in daylight. Tried to get spare from Autosleepers but website says they are all furloughed at the moment.
Thanks for the post Paul, lots of tips there to try
Gedders
Gedders

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gedders Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:12 pm

Hi Again, Tried the step button this morning & it seems to be working now, fingers crossed, could be cold weather related. Have given it a good squirt of electro spray & will keep an eye on it & keep you posted.
Took the cover off in case spare part required, Autosleepers have used Berker for these switches, part number 22102. Like others I have tried contacting Autosleepers online store for spares info as yet no response. Hope the above helps others with similar problem.
Gedders
Gedders

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andyh Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:32 pm

In December last year, the button/switch on our 2014 Symbol failed. I visited [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] uploaded some photos of the button and, after getting an online quotation, ordered it - again online. Never spoke to anyone - all via the online system. The switch arrived two days later in the post, and is easy to fit. A bit pricey at £20.10 inc VAT & P&P for what it is but that's just the way of autoparts... All in all, a good service.
andyh
andyh
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

2016 Symbol Step Button Empty Repairing The Switch

Post by Baggiecamper Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:49 pm

This happened with my Symbol step button during it's second winter when the weather was cold.
In my case I pressed the button and the step came out and only a couple of minutes later pressing the button resulted in no step movement. 
When I turned off the Sargent off, and back on again the step moved. Not exactly ideal. Industrial control systems would not have a button doing two functions (In and Out) - there would be two buttons 
I contacted my dealer and they sent me a replacement switch under warranty. They said they had had this problem before. 
While I was waiting for it to arrive I took the switch apart and managed to repair it:
Be careful how you remove the triple chrome socket surround because it is easily scratched and it is quite flimsy. I used a not too sharp wood chisel down the back to lever it off.
The plastic body of the switch is pushed tight into the plastic mounting plate. Autosleepers must have bought a batch of switches that are too tight when pushed together. Cold weather makes the fit even tighter, preventing the switch from operating, even though the button moves.
I got the switch assembly apart by using a bit of brute force. Once separated, testing the switch body showed it was now functioning OK electrically.
I then made the whole in the mounting plate a bit bigger by filing. The body of the switch was then glued to the mounting plate on assembly because I was now a loose fit. When the glue had gone off I checked it was working OK and replaced it. Works fine now.
Gluing might not have been necessary if I had filed a bit less out of the mounting plate hole.

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down