The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Numax Leisure Battery Charger Not Working

5 posters

Go down

Numax Leisure Battery Charger Not Working Empty Numax Leisure Battery Charger Not Working

Post by elijay Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:12 pm

The fuse in the 3 pin plug is OK. I've got a Symbol, the leisure battery is under the drivers seat,

It's possible that the terminals have become dislodged, before I go to the trouble of removing the drivers seat to sort it out please advise.

Should it light up anyway or will it only light up when properly connected to the battery?

During the winter I regularly charged the vehicle and leisure batteries, I used different battery chargers but the charging was done at the same time.

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Numax Leisure Battery Charger Not Working Empty battery charger not working

Post by murph Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I am a bit confused by the post, I have never heard of a Numax battery charger, though I do know of Numax batteries,(a good make) You must of course have a full circuit to show a light in the circuit and I would therfore suggest that you investigate a break, possibly as you suggest a loose, dirty, or dislodged battery terminal.
If none of these correct the fault you will have to look elsewere to find the problem.
I realise that the seats are a pain to remove but this is possibly the easy option compared to pulling off paneling etc in a search for a break in the wiring.

Brian2

murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Numax Leisure Battery Charger Not Working Empty Re: Numax Leisure Battery Charger Not Working

Post by dandywarhol Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:44 am

Haaaaa gotcha - who's Brian 1 then Brian? hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Numax Leisure Battery Charger Not Working Empty Bbrian1

Post by murph Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi Alan,
Off topic again,you havent been watching, Deckie and I agreed a week or so ago that there were too many plain Brians on the forum, so guess who.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Numax Leisure Battery Charger Not Working Empty Re: Numax Leisure Battery Charger Not Working

Post by dandywarhol Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Ah - I'll try to keep up............................

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Clubman Anniversa

Back to top Go down

Post by elijay Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks Brian2 Tayna sell the Numax battery charger, you can see it here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm guessing that the vibration of the vehicle while travelling has loosened the connection.

Resolving electrical problems haunts me. Removing the seat for the third time in such a short space of time was not on my agenda.

And yes you guys, off topic, very naughty. I got all excited when I saw a few responses only to discover they weren't aimed at me.

Liz

Back to top Go down

Numax Leisure Battery Charger Not Working Empty Numax

Post by murph Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi Liz,
At least you know how to get the seat out, sorry I know it is a pain. but you will have to check, let us know the result.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by elijay Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 am

I can manage without the leisure battery as I don't have any future plans to wild camp.

When I do eventually get round to removing the seat and testing I will let you know the result.

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:27 am

Hi there, reading your posts has left me a bit confused, as far as I know, all vans have built-in leisure battery chargers, so where does the '3 pin' plug
come in? And you also mentioned that you've already been charging the battery, How? as you should never use another external charger since the battey
will be charged from the mains hook-up.
As for doing away with the leisure battery, I'm almost certain that there MUST be one on board, because all the 12v stuff on board is supplied from it,
& NOT the mains, the mains simply supplies on board socket/s, maybe 1 light (240v) & the 240v side of a fridge & heating, & of course the charger.

Has your van been altered or had the charger removed?

Have a good look around the van & tell us everything you have & where it is, whats connected to the battery & where to?

regards

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst

Back to top Go down

Post by elijay Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:02 am

Let me explain, during the winter months the van sits in the road outside my house it is not driven very much.

I do not connect the van into the house mains. About every ten days or so I charge the vehicle battery via it's own dedicated battery charger powered by an electric lead from the house.

To stop the leisure battery draining, while putting in a replacement, I fitted a dedicated battery charger to this new leisure battery under the seat. This means I have two chargers powered by house mains.

The only time the van gets hooked up to an ELU is when I am on a site.

I'd be interested to know if the engine battery gets charged while hooked up to mains?

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:56 am

Hi,
On my Symbol I have a battery master fitted under the seat, next to leisure battery, only three wires. If you plug your van into the house mains the on board charger will charge the leisure battery and in my case will also trickle charge the starter battery. This seems easier than having extra chargers all over the place. Its possible that if you had your charger on for the leisure battery and switched on too many 12 volt items the charger may be fried. If the leisure battery is totally flat the charger doesn't "see" it and will not turn on.
You could always plug the van into the house mains and use the on board charger to charge the leisure battery and then plug the starter charger into the van 240 socket, I used to do this and charged the engine battery through the ciggy lighter with a special plug but the battery master is easiest, fit and forget. I also have the Strikeback alarm and by texting it find out if the main battery wants charging, bone idle,
Regards,
Chris V
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down