The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery charger not working?

2 posters

Go down

Battery charger not working? Empty Battery charger not working?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Symbol 2008. I suspect the battery charger is not working as it failed to put any charge in both vehicle and leisure batteries whereas a 20 mile drive did. Nor did the voltage across the batteries change when the charger was switched on.
Qu.1 Is there an inline fuse between charger and batteries I could check?
Qu.2 How could I check the output at the charger end of the line - can't see where to put the probes. And would I check for volts or amps?

Written on the charger is 'Volta 3-stage Mode CTSAN 18 amp'
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Battery charger not working? Empty charger

Post by ubuntu1 Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:07 pm

If there is no voltage showing at the battery terminals then either the charger has failed or the fuse has blown. You should find a fuse for the charger but a quick check is to put your meter on the output from the charger. If you have power at the outlet but not at the battery then its a fuse. If there is no output then its the charger.

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down

Battery charger not working? Empty charger not working

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Thank you for your reply, confirming my thoughts. The problem is: a cable comes out from underneath the charger (it plugs in, I think) and goes down for a couple of inches and straight through a hole in the floor. No signs of a fuse in this short length of visible wire. Where would I look for a fuse, then? Would it be near to the MES control unit on the back wall of the van above the rear doors? Do you know how this control unit is removed?

I would prefer to test the fuse before removing the charger and poking around inside its socket - this would seem to be a very fiddly procedure
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by ubuntu1 Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:39 am

Can you pull the outlet plug out a few millimeters and put a multimeter across the output? This would be the normal way of doing it. Otherwise - multimeters come with insulation piercing probes to let you test without removing things. In my experience its almost always the charger that fails.

Male

Back to top Go down

Battery charger not working? Empty battery charger

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks again. I bit the bullet and removed the charger from the bulkhead so as to access the output leads. (Back-destrying to get to one of the screws). Lo and behold, no output voltage whatsoever. Now to get a replacement before we are off next weekend - not many suppliers up here in Cumbria!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by ubuntu1 Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Have you got a picture, I might have one in stock!!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Battery charger not working? Empty Re: Battery charger not working?

Post by chrisvesey Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi,
Some (but not all) chargers need to be connected to a battery to produce a charging current, I would be inclined to connect your charger to a battery and see if the voltage rises when switched on,
Regards,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by ubuntu1 Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:04 pm

In this case it should be giving 13.4 volts without any load.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks so ,much for the offer, ubuntu 1, but I did order one this morning. Wish I had known!!
I did, in fact, try your suggestion, chrisvey, and there was absolutely no change in voltage.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Battery charger not working? Empty Re: Battery charger not working?

Post by chrisvesey Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:28 pm

ubuntu1 wrote:In this case it should be giving 13.4 volts without any load.
Hi,
The type of chargers I used to come across required sufficient voltage in the battery to actually activate a charging mode, mostly fitted to access machines so to get them to cut in we had to fool them by applying booster batteries. I think the idea was to prevent customers running machines with flat batteries and the charger plugged in and damaging the charger,
Regards,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by ubuntu1 Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:42 am

Chris, your right that many modern chargers operate in this way and some motorhome chargers do in fact operate like this. However in this case its designed to keep the 12v system working should the battery fail completely.

Male

Back to top Go down