The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto spare wheel frame

5 posters

Go down

Duetto spare wheel frame Empty Duetto spare wheel frame

Post by Keo Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:19 pm

Good Evening,

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can obtain a spare wheel frame and release for a 1997 Duetto please. We recently experienced a blow out and unfortunately the RAC managed to damage the release mechanism and frame whilst removing the spare.

They ended up having to actually unbolt the retaining frame to release the wheel and as a result, the release mechanism sustained damaged during the task.

Any advice or recommendations much appreciated.

BR

Keo

Last edited by Keo on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Keo
Keo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Duetto spare wheel frame Empty Re: Duetto spare wheel frame

Post by IanH Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:16 am

Here's a different, and better solution, had to do it on my Harmony, similar to Duetto, due to seized release mechanism, and the actual near impossibility to get the wheel out past the towbar.

Sequence of events see pics
 Remove lh rear door inner trim and any insulation
Remove and refit the number plate to where seen, I took the opportunity to replace the number plate lights with new, plastic led ones
Place spare wheel on some support till its in the position you want it, mark round it (on masking tape) with a marker pen
Mark the two stud locations which will carry the wheel weight, I used M12 SS threaded rod, SS penny washers and SS plain and nyloc nuts
Drill the door and install supports as seen. Once in place I covered the threads with heatshrink to protect the tyre.
Lift wheel up and onto the studs and carefully mark the exact centre.
The wheel is held to the door with M16 SS threaded rod. I also had some SS plates cut to fit either side of the hole in the wheel centre to spread the load
Drill the centre point through the door.
Fit the fastening stud with a combination of ss nuts and washers as above.
Fit the wheel onto the support studs, adjust the fwd support plate till it touches the back of the wheel, fit the aft one and hold in place with a nyloc nut
Buy a wheel cover and fit it.
In this way, the retaining nut is 24mmA/F as are the vehicle wheelnuts, so no need for extra tools
ONLY use all SS, pennies dearer never rust

You could now fit a water tank underneath where the spare wheel was?
Let me know your thoughts please
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Spospe, Steve&Veronique and Keo like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keo Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:15 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response....food for thought....would certainly remedy the problem of sourcing legacy spares....
Keo
Keo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:24 pm

It'd remedy the problem of getting the wheel out of and in under the van too!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:17 pm

Brilliant ..must do mod as I have never had a  spare .. petrol with lpg tank fitted in place of spare .If we went to the back of beyond the spare was put in the van ha ha ..

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 pm

I can't help but wonder.....surely breakdown companies as large and high profile as the RAC carry insurance for any damage incurred on a customers vehicle?
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 am

Hi  wave

Bulletguy wrote:I can't help but wonder.....surely breakdown companies as large and high profile as the RAC carry insurance for any damage incurred on a customers vehicle?

I think that would depend on whether or not they had been negligent. If they carried out the correct procedure and something broke (perhaps because something was seized) it’s not their fault.

If they did something wrong and caused damaged  it would be. A very difficult thing to  prove though. shrugg

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:11 pm

brodco wrote:Hi  wave

Bulletguy wrote:I can't help but wonder.....surely breakdown companies as large and high profile as the RAC carry insurance for any damage incurred on a customers vehicle?

I think that would depend on whether or not they had been negligent. If they carried out the correct procedure and something broke (perhaps because something was seized) it’s not their fault.

If they did something wrong and caused damaged  it would be. A very difficult thing to  prove though. shrugg
Thats what the op hasn't made very clear and since he/she hasn't come back to the thread, so i don't know either.

edit; weird but how come my own post is instantly 'liked' the minute I post it.....and by myself too!!!?
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down