The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel size & Spare wheel advice

2 posters

Go down

Wheel size & Spare wheel advice Empty Wheel size & Spare wheel advice

Post by Chrisu Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:30 pm

Our Trident ( 2000) came fitted with 17" wheels but no spare. Doing abit of measuring and investigating, it looks like a 17" spare will not fit into the spare carrier underneath the rear ( which might explain why there wasn't one),  but I wondered if anyone has tried this or how others overcome this? Any other options for carrying a 17" spare as I'm not keen on travelling far without one? 

As an secondary question, has anyone got any views on switching back to the original 15" wheels? Are there likely to have been any modifications that would also need reversing if I did this? 

Would be an expensive way of solving the the spare wheel issue!
Any advice gratefully received

Cheers

Last edited by Chrisu on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor change)
Chrisu
Chrisu

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Wheel size & Spare wheel advice Empty Re: Wheel size & Spare wheel advice

Post by JohnF6 Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:55 am

I may be completely wrong on this as certainly no expert on wheels and tyres but it was my understanding that when fitting bigger wheels you then fitted lower profile tyres. The overall diameter would then be the same or certainly similar, if not this can cause problems with your speedo being inaccurate and also clearance under the wheel arch especially when turning.  I am sure that like many things this is a very simplistic view and am sure many people have done many odd mods to wheels and tyres so could be completely wrong.
JohnF6
JohnF6

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down