The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale water heater (WH130) 2011 Symbol

+2
AutoSleepy_Don
arkofdevon
6 posters

Go down

Whale water heater (WH130) 2011 Symbol Empty Whale water heater (WH130) 2011 Symbol

Post by arkofdevon Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:42 pm

I've had a trawl around various forums in advance of this question. I'm a new user keen to prepare my Symbol for winter, in particular by fully clearing the water heater, so apologies for any irritation caused to people who've seen this question before. If you can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

My question is this. I've located the water heater and uploaded an image of the unit, and I'm wondering how I access the drain valve. I'm guessing that either the blue plastic or black foam-like covering, or possibly both, need to come off and it lies beneath. My Symbol handbook's illustration doesn't resemble what I've found so far, so I want to be sure that I'm going in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any advice.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
arkofdevon
arkofdevon

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleeper
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Whale water heater (WH130) 2011 Symbol Empty Re: Whale water heater (WH130) 2011 Symbol

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:47 pm

Someone who has more familiarity with your boiler will be along soon but in the meantime, I think the drain valve will be external to the unit itself. Follow the cold water piping I can see at the bottom of your photo.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

arkofdevon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Whale water heater (WH130) 2011 Symbol Empty Re: Whale water heater (WH130) 2011 Symbol

Post by arkofdevon Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks Don - that's very helpful. I think you're right - I can see it now. I'm off out for a while but will look back in this evening and see if others agree. Much-appreciated.
arkofdevon
arkofdevon

Male

AutoSleepy_Don likes this post

Back to top Go down

Whale water heater (WH130) 2011 Symbol Empty Problem solved.

Post by arkofdevon Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:01 pm

You were right, Don. I've since obtained a really helpful diagram, which may of use to others. Thanks again.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
arkofdevon
arkofdevon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:08 pm

There should be a yellow tap to turn 90° to drain. On that diagram it's marked pressure relief valve/drain tap but it's not showing in your photo.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:58 pm

I don’t think AS are very consistent in where they locate the drain valve. In our 2009 Symbol it was hidden under a removable plastic cover plate in cabinetry beneath the bench seat. It was troublesome to access easily, not least because it was buried under a nest of untidy wiring next to the habitation battery.  I always felt it was very poor design.

By the time AS designed our 2014 Kemerton they placed the yellow tap mentioned by Paul in a much more obvious and accessible spot, in the cupboard under the kitchen sink.  

Sounds like yours is still of the “hide and seek” variety. Happy hunting.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:04 pm

This water heater leaves a lot of water in the bottom even when you drain it .they have problems with leaking on the rubber seal behind the heater element when taken apart you find lots of sludge maybe from hard water In the bottom I clean this out with a wet vac with a small pipe .and this is the hot water you are cleaning with .no thank you
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by arkofdevon Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks for the replies and info everyone. I think I know what I'm doing now. Much-appreciated.
arkofdevon
arkofdevon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:11 am

glyne lock wrote:This water heater leaves a lot of water in the bottom even when you drain it .they have problems with leaking on the rubber seal behind the heater element when taken apart you find lots of sludge maybe from hard water In the bottom I clean this out with a wet vac with a small pipe .and this is the hot water you are cleaning with .no thank you

I thought that the Whale heater and water heater was only a recent inclusion on the panel van range - sound like you have it on a 2019 model!

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Liam
I would not want a whale I would pay extra and have the Truma as I said in a resent post .
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:55 pm

glyne lock wrote:Liam
I would not want a whale  I would pay extra and have the Truma as I said in a resent post .
Oops, sorry, I thought that you were speaking from actual experience of using the new Whale system - I am afraid the Truma is no longer an option on the panel van!

It was not clear from you post and I thought you were describing actual problems that you had encountered in your van.

All of which might be a tad misleading for someone who is considering buying one of the 2021 panel van conversions - I don't think there are many members on the forum with the new Whale heating systems.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi 
I can see the drain tap in the centre lower of your picture, just above the red positive battery lead. The tap is black plastic with a bright rivet in the centre, its outlet is directly under the tap and goes straight downward through the floor.  I cant remember if it turns to the left or right but it will be easy enough to tell as it will only go one way.
Good luck Wallis3 up!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by arkofdevon Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:37 am

All sorted now. Thanks for the help Wallis3 and all.
arkofdevon
arkofdevon

Male

Back to top Go down