The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Truma Water Heater - Symbol 2008

2 posters

Go down

Truma Water Heater - Symbol 2008 Empty Truma Water Heater - Symbol 2008

Post by journeyman Sat May 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Quick question guys,

In my Symbol 2008, parked up on Anglesey we've started playing with the truma water heater for the first time. We've located the gas control, which is mounted above the Eberspacher Diesel Heater cowl and managed to get the heater working. BUT! The AS manual says its also fitted with an electric heater option. Can anyone tell me where the control panel for that is please? I've looked everywhere and can't find it. Is my Truma just gas operated??

Many Thanks

Jmn

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol 2008

Back to top Go down

Truma Water Heater - Symbol 2008 Empty Re: Truma Water Heater - Symbol 2008

Post by Gram Sat May 04, 2013 11:13 pm

Jmn,
Have a look in the compartment under the cooker. If you have an MES/Plug-In electrical system there is a control unit (consumer unit) at the left hand side of the space. There are three switches across the lower front of the unit. The last of the switches (the righthand one of the row) operates the Truma water heater.
The control unit is shown in the attached photo.

Hope this helps.

G

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

InSJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman Mon May 06, 2013 3:27 pm

Apologies for the late response Gram and thanks for your assistance. Internet was useless at the site.

I have the control box shown on your image, mine is located under the seat, next to the cooker. I assumed that was a fuse isolation switch, as its mounted on the fusebox. Its always been in "On" position and i've never noticed hot water, until I used the gas option this weekend. The illustration in the AS handbook shows a specific rocker switch and mentions a red neon light. ?

Thanks

Jmn

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Mon May 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Mine is a 2009 Symbol and the position of the control box is obviously different to yours.
I have no other switch for the Truma water heater although the wiring diagram in the handbook shows a Control Unit for the water AC element.
I am sure you have checked the MCBs in the Control Unit (under the flap above the three switches) and checked that mains is getting to the fridge and battery charger (uses the same MCB as the Truma).
Maybe you have an open circuit heater element or the overheat cut-out has operated but not cut back in after five minutes.

Sorry, Jmn, as my system is not identical to yours I don't think I can be much more help to you.

Good luck with it.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 pm

What surprises me is the control for the gas operation of the heater is in a prominent position. But the electric switch is tucked away in a cupboard? The gas switch has an electric feed, as the button illuminates "green" when lit, so I assumed that the electric switch you highlighted was the feed for that light and ignitor. Very strange. I confirm that the heater does not work on electric, with just that switch "On". The system is currently only working off the gas supply.

Jmn

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Tue May 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Jmn,
The gas control is energised by the 12V battery supply and enables the system to operate independent of the mains supply.
As I understand it, the water heater will operate from the AC mains supply (when connected) whether or not the 12V or the gas is connected.
The switch I highlighted is the AC mains switch to the Truma and 'should' provide mains power direct to the water heater element.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 pm

mmmm thanks Gram.
Just to confirm, if the fuse for the heater was inoperative, other items in the van would also not be working.

Also that black switch is the primary control for the mains operation of the boiler. I'm going to have another look at this.

Many thanks mate, i'm a technical biff, your explanations are appreciated

Jmn.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Tue May 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Jmn,

The 'fuse' is actually an MCB - a switch-like thing under the flap on the control box. This is in the up position when On. This MCB also serves other units, probably the fridge and the battery charger.

Yes, if the righthand black switch is not down (the switch will be labelled, so check it is the correct one) then the water heater will not work on mains power. This switch only supplies the Truma.

So, the MCB feeds mains power to the black switch and other items; the black switch supplies power to the water heater only.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Back to top Go down