The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol reversing camera

5 posters

Go down

Symbol reversing camera Empty Symbol reversing camera

Post by hubbo Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:04 am

I have a 2016 symbol. The reversing camera has decided not to work, well the mirror screen comes on, but is just a ghostly series of greyish lines. Any ideas what to check and how please. Tia Martin
hubbo
hubbo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Symbol reversing camera Empty Re: Symbol reversing camera

Post by IanH Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:18 am

There may be a shortish pigtail lead from the camera to the loom moving fwds. If you can access that, then in plug/re connect camera, could well be poor connection/corrosion at that point.
Other than that the only other connections (on the Warwick Duo, have zero knowledge of the Symbol) are in the drivers door footwell, easily enough accessed by removing a few screws.

Others with more symbol knowledge will be along shortly....................!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:15 am

asof_welcome2

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:07 pm

Use the search function on here and you'll find plenty of help.  The Veba cameras fitted to AS panel vans in roughly the period 2014-2017 are not great quality and fail after around 4 years or so. Ours had a similar fault condition to what you describe and I replaced it with a better quality camera integrated into the brake light. It was relatively straightforward to do. If you're handy with a multimeter and have a basic knowledge of automotive electrics then you should be fine.  The main challenge was removing the old camera through the limited access afforded by the brake light aperture.

The post explaining what I did is linked below.

Tim

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Recently my Veba camera has been acting strangely. Some times coming on when prompted, then refusing to do so. More recently the camera image on the viewer failed totally. I checked connections, terminals and line fuse, no issues found. Under the drivers’ foot-well I then checked the positive lead: found there was no power going to the camera. On the Kemerton the camera is fed from the 3 way fridge 20A fuse in the Sargent EM50 fuse and distribution unit. Checked the 20A fuse, it was in working order.  

Unscrewed the EM50 from the wood panel, behind the drivers’ seat, so I could view where the camera lead was connected to. It’s here where I found the fault. The terminal on the PCB where the camera lead connects to was scorched black. Small plastic parts, near the camera connection, was also melted and distorted. Thinking more carefully about it, the likely cause could have been a loose earth connection for the fridge that I had previously experienced. This dodgy earth connection near the starter battery may have created a build up of heat on the fridge connections in the EM50 unit.

The damage to theEM50 unit is thankfully limited. The only issue, hopefully, is a burnt out terminal on the PCB, where the camera positive lead connects.  For those who might have interest, the damaged terminal on the EM50 PCB is marked ‘SWITCHED R/Y’. I noticed also one other terminal, below the damaged one. On this I connected the camera lead and it worked fine. It’s marked ‘PERM N/G’. Therefore unlike the damaged terminal, the working one has a permanent 12v power supply. Later it may be necessary to tap into an alternative 12v supply, controlled by the ignition so the camera is live only when the ignition is on.

See similar thread of this problem with the EM50:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down