The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale submersibe pump

+4
inspiredron
Gromit
IanH
kaspian
8 posters

Go down

Whale submersibe pump Empty Whale submersibe pump

Post by kaspian Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:37 pm

Nothing to see here!    Just to let everyone  know including all the Whale haters that our submersible  pump is performing excellently in our Warwick xl which is seeing its first outing since purchase in February!  hugegrins    Ha ! fooled all the ' fit a shurflo '   brigade ready to give advice!     BUT  I will grudgingly admit when you can get close enough to a tap and hose,  the hole in the wall is a fuss free  method of filling the water tank ps ( dont tell  WC  Gromit  ! ) ( watering can )!   hugegrins   Struggling to get to grip with the Truma heating/water which is a poor excuse compared to the set up in the Previous Kemerton 6m mind you....
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

AutoSleepy_Don likes this post

Back to top Go down

Whale submersibe pump Empty Re: Whale submersibe pump

Post by IanH Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Hard hat now on!!

You mean the pump is working OK today.............................. hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins

What's the issue with the Truma?
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:42 pm

Over- faffy control panel, hard to regulate to a comfortable temperature,  turn up 1 degree end up stewing , turn down 1 degree and its Baltic! Heating water only results in the metallic burning smell that has your eyes watering reported by so many...  Kemerton had nice analogue switches,  a potentiometer to regulate temperature Whale boiler for water and Whale space heater in front step into cab . Never  missed a beat and just did a job  .. simples.  Had to smile as even Truma tell you that using the fan on faster speed accelerates motor wear!!!!!   Why give that facility then ...  or fit a fan fit for the  purpose!  
        One thing that is better is bathroom heating as I am currently smelting gold bullion in the shower!  Kemerton bathroom was always cold as it was at the end of a very long heating  pipe run.....
kaspian

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:49 pm

It's called progress - or the mindless pursuit of ever increasing complexity!

And just so you're not disappointed, I'll add, "just like the Whale filling system!"   Whistle1 lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:04 pm

kaspian wrote:Over- faffy control panel, hard to regulate to a comfortable temperature,  turn up 1 degree end up stewing , turn down 1 degree and its Baltic! Heating water only results in the metallic burning smell that has your eyes watering reported by so many...  Kemerton had nice analogue switches,  a potentiometer to regulate temperature Whale boiler for water and Whale space heater in front step into cab . Never  missed a beat and just did a job  .. simples.  Had to smile as even Truma tell you that using the fan on faster speed accelerates motor wear!!!!!   Why give that facility then ...  or fit a fan fit for the  purpose!  
        One thing that is better is bathroom heating as I am currently smelting gold bullion in the shower!  Kemerton bathroom was always cold as it was at the end of a very long heating  pipe run.....
Out of interest, is the "room" thermostat mounted very close to the ceiling? It is in the Warwick Duo, net result it that the air above it (very little due to small gap) heats up and switches off the heat while the rest of the room is cold, also means that the heating is constantly cycling on/off.

I mounted mine ( and others have too) under the end cabinet so its about 250mm lower than before. There's enough spare wire and it can be mounted in the same cabinet (Duo, no idea what cabinets you have)

Worth a try, you don't even need to drill a hole to test it out, just leave it hanging on the wires?
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:27 pm

Yes, don't blame the control panel. In theory your panel has a better chance of finer control - but both your new panel and the old control are totally dependent on the sensitivity and sensible placing of the thermostat sensor.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:29 pm

My Whale submersible pump is also continuing to work correctly. hugegrins
Given the choice I would have prefered a Shurflo (actually any onboard pump) and if it breaks out of warranty then it will be gone but I will stick with the submersible otherwise.

Regarding the Truma combi, it is the best thing on my van. Love the timer.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:My Whale submersible pump is also continuing to work correctly. hugegrins
Given the choice I would have prefered a Shurflo (actually any onboard pump) and if it breaks out of warranty then it will be gone but I will stick with the submersible otherwise.

Regarding the Truma combi, it is the best thing on my van. Love the timer.
Darned well ought to be after only 3 years.  My Hymer submersible lasted the 11 years that i had the van.  My Whale only lasted 6 or 7 years

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:52 am

good to see you finally got away in your new XL.
Regulate the heater outlet in shower/toilet area down a little and the benefit can be felt in the living area, unless you have to dry off the odd coat or two.
you'll get the hang of Mr Trump , sorry Mr Truma !!
Enjoy your trip away Kaspian
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Page Turner Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:46 am

Our Whale in the Nuevo is still a bit hit and miss.  Tweaking the pressure switch (advice gleaned on this forum) means that it no longer comes on and runs for long periods, just a very short burst rarely, which I suspect it has to do to regulate itself pressure wise?  The main issue is that when we pitch up, it comes on as soon as the switch on the control panel is turned on and then it stays on.  We have to turn on the taps in the kitchen and bathroom and run some water out, then switch off the CP, then on again, and it’s fine.  We’ve got used to this now so can live with it.
As for heating, no complaints.  We had diesel heating in our previous van (Chausson) which was noisy and overpowering on any setting other than minimum, so we’re thrilled with the Truma system.  Set the thermostat and forget it smile!
Page Turner
Page Turner

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 am

Thanks all, yes sensor is positioned 2 inches from roof so will trigger early to the rising hot air while at lower levels air is still cold. Will investigate at some point and lower its position. Just relieved everything seems to be working so far after losing out on the majority of the season and the van lying as an expensive garden ornament!
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 am

you can regulate the temp reading on 'your' van by using the 'offset' setting on the control panel....
the Combi is a great unit provided that it has been installed correctly: you cant expect all four corners of the van to be evenly heated if the converter chooses either not to make use of all four heater outlets or for the connected pipes not to be routed to each corner of the van.
similarly, the heater works best when sited roughly centrally in the van, giving it a chance to send equal heat levels to all corners. a rear sited unit cant heat the front of the van as well as it can the rear....
why dont converters often route heating pipes right into the cab? because its hard work and costly to do this safely and discretely without a double (or false) floor....its far cheaper to let the cab occupants (where the best seats are) freeze.
some even install narrow bore pipework to route behind furniture which is bound to add to the poor airflow.
the latest CP panel is far better than the old one, removing the confusion of the 'flame' symbol which meant 'heat' on one dial but 'gas' on the other....and i agree, the timer is really useful.
if the heating system is poorly executed, its not difficult to re-route or add extra pipework within the van.
however, using gas (on its own or by using 'mixed' fuel mode) will transform the unit and overcome some of the installation issues.
using gas, even on the ECO fan setting should be plenty to warm most PVCs.
if using (say) 'mixed 2' setting, the unit will use what gas it needs to bring the van upto temperature and then gradually close the gas burner leaving just the electric portion to maintain heat levels.
the good thing about this setting is that it heats the van pretty quickly but also closes off the gas usage when not required so it doesnt waste gas while maintaining ambient temperatures.
as i said, its a great unit but needs a bit of understanding from converters and users to get the best from it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:19 pm

Similar to Kaspian, no problem with the whale submersible pump on the kemerton, works fine. But in one day last week, at the end of a two week holiday with the van, four other electrical systems failed. First it was the electric step not retracting. Found fault relatively quickly-loose fuse connection. Second, veba reversing camera. Comes on/off when it likes. Checked connections and fuse in the relevant places, seem ok. Requires further investigation of camera, or get rid. Third, LPG level gauge indicator failure and not for the first time. No lights are visible on the indicator with a full tank. A waggle of the cable connections in the past has worked, not this time. Yesterday, crawled under the van, removed, checked and cleaned the gauge sender connections-still no success. The fourth [info previously placed on this forum] is the fridge not operating on 12v when the engine is running. The likely cause, faulty 12v relay or PCB. Never before, have I had so many electrical things go wrong on the kemerton. For the wrong reasons it will be a day last week to remember. After glaringly failed to rectify the said electrical faults, even with the aid of this forum, I am now considering booking the van into AS service centre at Willersey. Hopefully they can sort all or most of the problems out.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down