The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale water system - unable to fill tank

+5
GrahamF
hferguson
andyh
Peter Brown
Michelle_h
9 posters

Go down

Whale water system - unable to fill tank Empty Whale water system - unable to fill tank

Post by Michelle_h Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:42 am

We have had an Autosheeper Kingham for 3 years which has a Whale water system which worked OK (we have a hose and a bucket and pump) until last week.  We emptied the whole van a couple of weeks ago and now want to fill it but have been unable to do so.  When we switch on the tap we can hear the water going in for a few seconds and then it stops.  Tried this several times over a couple of days and always the same result.
Michelle_h
Michelle_h

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Whale water system - unable to fill tank Empty Re: Whale water system - unable to fill tank

Post by Peter Brown Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:55 am

There is an electrically operated valve just inside the van by the filler point that has to be opened by having the 12v switched on and the ball valve in the tank dropped. When the tank is full the ball valve cuts off power to the valve and it closes. There could be a fault in that circuit.

In the body of the valve is a filter and these clog up, the pipe push on connectors allow removal of the valve to clean the filter.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Whale water system - unable to fill tank Empty Re: Whale water system - unable to fill tank

Post by andyh Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:49 am

Not really a long-term solution but it may help if you want to get on the road before you fix the issue... Use a hose, and fill up via the water tank drain hose (blue!) i.e. fill it from the bottom of the tank up. I did this a few times when we had problems with the Whale system on our 2014 Symbol. There doesn't appear to be any valve system on the bottom of the tank - water can go in as well as out. Well, it can on the Symbol at least.
I used a W4 Universal Tap Connector between the drain and filler hoses. Like this one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Eventually, the Whale became too annoying and I had Autosleepers fit a gravity feed filler. It's now so much easier to top up with a watering can.
Good luck:)
andyh
andyh
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by hferguson Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi Michelle, 

Please do not hesitate to contact our support team who will do all they can to help you (contact info below). Otherwise, please feel free to private message me the best number to get you on and I will get one of the team to give you a call. 

Tel: 0345 9090 911
Email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Best wishes
Hayley
hferguson
hferguson

Female

Member Age : 37
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:04 pm

Michelle

Peter has given you a good description of the operation of the electrically operated valve.

When I had a similar problem on my Worcester quite a few years back it proved to be the electrical connections to the ball valve at the top of the tank that had corroded preventing the 12 volts being returned. (In quite a vulnerable position). Access to this unfortunately involves dropping the tank.

I would though endorse andyh’s advice to fill via the blue drain pipe in the interim - you will really need one of those bell shaped hose connectors or something similar to keep the hose in place. 

I used this method even after my ball valve connection was repaired as it proved to be a far quicker way to fill the tank than through the Whale inlet as the bore is much larger.

Regards Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:57 pm

The most likely problem is scale in the filter fitted just above the solenoid.  Periodically this must be cleaned (not easy as it seems to be captive) but if it is bunged up the flow rate is severely reduced and other folk get exasperated when, with a hose connection, it takes 20 minutes to fill the tank.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by andie Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:27 am

My Devon, with a Whale electrical system, has suddenly started to play up while filling. Initially flow into the tank was heavily reduced.....30 mins to get to 1/4 full, and now doesn't take on any water. If the problem is the filter, how do I access please?
andie
andie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:45 am

If your Devon is like my Nuevo there is a black moulding in the offside bed locker right behind the Whale filler. It is secured with two screws and th esolenoid valve is behind it.

Male

andie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by andie Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:33 pm

Thanks....not like the Nuevo unfortunately but in the Devon hidden behind the hot water tank which is below a wardrobe. I can see the back of the inlet housing but then it disappears downwards out of sight.
andie
andie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Have a look at this thread which has photos of what you are looking for.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It shows the setup excatly as it is on my Nuevo.

I have no idea where it will be located on your Nuevo but it sounds as though it may be behind the wardrobe in the part that you cannot see.  With the drawer removed you could try taking a photo downwards with your phone.

Fortunately it is possible to remove the bottom of the wardrobe front but it is a very tight fit in its surround.  Around the edge of the panel are a number of rathe crude fixings which consist of a brown plastic ring with a wood screw hidden behind the cover which simply pops off.  You have to remove all those hidden screws.  You will also need to disconnect the hoses to the 2 (?) circular heating duscts that ore fitted in the panel.

But before doing that I suggest that you contact A/s with your Build Number (possibly in glove box or on the passenger door frame) J nnnn and ask them the location of the Whale inlet solenoid valve.

I hope that helps

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andie Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Many thanks....sounds too much for my limited abilities but I can use your info to help me judge what a workshop will have to do.....and whether they know what they are talking about!
andie
andie

Male

Back to top Go down

Whale water system - unable to fill tank Empty Cotswold whale pump

Post by Paulb Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:23 pm

Does anyone know where the whale solenoid valve is located on a 2010 Cotswold? I can’t get water into the tank and want to give the solenoid valve a belt with a hammer to see if it’s stuck in the closed position. Thank you.
Paulb
Paulb

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Cotswold
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:18 pm

I'm surprised that the Cotswold has a Whale filler but if it does, the solenoid that includes an easily blocked filter is connected by pipe to the water fill point so should be easy to find.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulb Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:22 pm

Hi Peter. I can follow the 2 blue tubes from the whale socket as far as I can see but can’t see any solenoid valve. The two tubes disappear up the side of the tank until I can’t see them. The filler is directly in front of the cooker so I can’t easily see if it’s on the inside of the vehicle.
Paulb
Paulb

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Cotswold
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Solaris Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Our Kingham, 2018, has both a whale filling socket and a normal one which can be filled with a hose, watering can etc. Must admit I thought that was pretty standard on Kinghams. Would suggest you take up Whale‘S offer to discuss problem to fix it rather than try to work round it
Solaris
Solaris

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down