The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Repair of rainwater gulley fixings on Symbol

2 posters

Go down

Repair of rainwater gulley fixings on Symbol Empty Repair of rainwater gulley fixings on Symbol

Post by Robbit M Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:51 am

Hi all. Hope I can make this clear. The rainwater drain plastic channel at the top of the sidewall has come loose on the drivers side of my 1999 Symbol. The plastic channel is still attached via screws to the fixing brackets but the brackets themselves have become detached from the van. It's flapping around a bit but still held in place as there is a silicone seal or similar on the bottom edge. It appears to me that the brackets are attached to the van using double sided adhesive patches. The remnants of the ones in place appear to be fabric. Not sure if these are the original fixings or a prior repair. Has anyone else had this problem ? I am keen to know what type of adhesive patches I should get to do the repair. I attach a couple of photos to hopefully show the problem. Thanks in anticipation of the usual support. Keep safe, Rob[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rob Malyn
Robbit M
Robbit M

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Repair of rainwater gulley fixings on Symbol Empty Re: Repair of rainwater gulley fixings on Symbol

Post by Roopert Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:46 am

Yes, it's not uncommon, sadly. I had (IIRC) four come loose on my Flair. I decided not to use sticky pads, as I couldn't see any way of stopping it happening again - so I used a very quick setting epoxy glue, with gaffer tape to hold it in place for the short length of time needed for the glue to go off.

However... it's a bit of a messy job, and I ended up making a masking tape "cradle" under each to stop the glue from drooling down all over the place while still liquid.

If you do decide to go with double sided tape, I would suggest mirror fixing pads. The stuff that I used (for other jobs) is incredibly sticky! But even then, I'm not sure how well it will hold up to the temperatures involved when that side of the van is in full sunlight...

Last edited by Roopert on Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mismelled worms)
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down