The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiat Ducato 2020 Automatic - lost power WXL

4 posters

Go down

Fiat Ducato 2020 Automatic - lost power WXL Empty Fiat Ducato 2020 Automatic - lost power WXL

Post by Robnsand Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:20 pm

We have really been enjoying our new WXL 2020 Fiat Automatic, and have commented so here.  So really stumped today when starting to drive up a hill the power just faded away and the van ground to a halt. No warning lights on at all.  I turned engine off and then restarted and everything was just fine, pulled away up the hill and caught up traffic that had passed me when stopped.  Only 230 miles on the clock.  What do you think this could be?  A sensor blip that reset itself on restarting the engine maybe?  Any thoughts, advice would be really helpful.  Thanks.
Robnsand
Robnsand

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL Auto
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Fiat Ducato 2020 Automatic - lost power WXL Empty Re: Fiat Ducato 2020 Automatic - lost power WXL

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:03 pm

Call Fiat Camper Assist and they'll send the RAC who will plug in a reader to the OBD port and see if any fault codes exist. Don’t just ignore it as it may let you down again.

Our own fault recurred and proved to be a faulty exhaust sensor but this didn’t cause loss of power. We've just got it back from the Fiat Professional garage in Truro.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Fiat Ducato 2020 Automatic - lost power WXL Empty Re: Fiat Ducato 2020 Automatic - lost power WXL

Post by Robnsand Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Really helpful advice.  Thanks a lot.  We do not want it to happen again, and we could be on the motorway or somewhere, so we will follow that up.
Robnsand
Robnsand

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:02 pm

Robnsand wrote:Really helpful advice.  Thanks a lot.  We do not want it to happen again, and we could be on the motorway or somewhere, so we will follow that up.

You're welcome. I fear that Fiats do seem prone to this sort of problem and it’s as well to get it sorted.

The only thought that's occurred to me is that the auto to manual change is too easy to operate without realising and you might have inadvertently knocked the lever to the left locking it in too high a gear for the hill which would mean the revs would fade away as the box wouldn't change down. shrugg
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Robnsand Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:52 pm

As advised (thank you Tinwheeler)we contacted Fiat Camper Assist who called RAC out.  After downloading data to technical centre seemed it was caused by catching foot on brake pedal whilst accelerating (Auto van) to drive the van up the hill.  As RAC technician pointed out the brake and accelerator pedals are close together.  Something to watch out for, especially if you are like me and have lost feeling in soles of your feet.  A lesson learned.
Robnsand
Robnsand

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:13 pm

Assuming the Fiat has a conventional torque converter auto, I'm not sure that I would be convinced by their explanation, because it doesn't seem to match your description. If that had happened as they said and you were on both pedals, I would expect the engine to be screaming (in relative terms) by the time you came to a halt. I don't see how that could cause the power to "fade away" because it would be a fight between engine and brakes - so the 'box should have been dropping down the gears and the engine revs rising as the van slowed.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:28 pm

Fiat---- Fix It Again Tomorrow.

Hope that is not your case, as tinwheeler says get it looked at NOW.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down