The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TomTom 5” Unconnect satnav Fiat Ducato 2020

+5
Tinwheeler
Relaxez-Vous
RogerThat
gef
asocnews
9 posters

Go down

TomTom 5” Unconnect satnav Fiat Ducato 2020 Empty TomTom 5” Unconnect satnav Fiat Ducato 2020

Post by asocnews Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:53 am

Can anyone tell me if the TomTom 5” fitted to the 2020 Auto Sleeper Warwick XL MQ can show live traffic?
asocnews
asocnews

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

TomTom 5” Unconnect satnav Fiat Ducato 2020 Empty Re: TomTom 5” Unconnect satnav Fiat Ducato 2020

Post by gef Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:14 am

On mine it looks like it should but never  does
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

TomTom 5” Unconnect satnav Fiat Ducato 2020 Empty Re: TomTom 5” Unconnect satnav Fiat Ducato 2020

Post by RogerThat Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:20 am

Live trafffic (amd speed cameras) is a subscription option, isn't it? scratch head
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:42 am

I think it's a bit of a rip-off that you have to pay to update the inbuilt TomTom map, you're allowed just one free map update. In your place I'd look at buying a separate TomTom satnav with its lifetime map updates and subscription free traffic, pay a bit more and you could choose the one that makes allowance for the dimensions of a towed caravan or motorhome, the Boxer's doesn't, it thinks you're driving a Peugeot car. I don't know if things are different with Fiat.

I use the TomTom we had in our previous van, it's got lifetime maps and traffic, the inbuilt TomTom in our Boxer goes unused.

There's always the option of using a Smart phone as an alternative, possibly with a TomTom App though I've no experience other than of using a TomTom.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:31 am

Buying a separate satnav will also allow you to have a screen of a decent size. We find our inbuilt Fiat TomTom is too small to be easily read in the flattish position it's in so we now have a 6.95” Garmin mounted on the dash. It’s a vast improvement on visibility alone. The brand and model is personal preference.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:55 am

i agree with TW, my own TomTom is a 6" model and its a lot easier to add POI files than to the Blaupunkt fitted to my van, nice though thr screen is...far easier with a stand alone unit and, as above, i get traffic and updates.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:47 am

asocnews wrote:Can anyone tell me if the TomTom 5” fitted to the 2020 Auto Sleeper Warwick XL MQ can show live traffic?
I started a thread on this here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

in short live traffic only works in Spain!  No idea why it doesn't work elsewhere.  Peugeot UK and my Peugeot dealer(s) have no idea either.  A Nav system that doesn't take current traffic into account isn't worth having these days.  I've given up on it and only use Google Maps now on my i-phone.  If you find a way of making live traffic work in UK it will be an interesting post.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:58 am

The OP asked same question on FB. He hasn't come back to the forum since Sunday when he posted the question, so in his absence ill report that he has said on FB  that he had a call from Fiat telling him it doesn't work. If TomTom get their traffic info from same supplier as Garmin then it may stop working from next June and you need to get Traffic Live on your phone (see thread on Garmin Traffic started today) so all a bit pointless having I built in.

Last edited by Paulmold on Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:58 am

Last year I let our independent TomTom satnav dictate how we drove back to home, as it was there were several  traffic hold-ups on the A1 and it was for ever sending us off the A1 onto minor roads where more than once we drove under a motorway bridge to see the traffic on the A1 flowing freely. I'm not sure why but this hasn't happened recently, perhaps I've changed a setting.

Last year on a trip to an ASOC rally at a CCC site just south of Beverly our independent TomTom sent us onto some most minor unclassified rough road, though a few weeks later going to Sargent (very close to the same CCC site at Woodmansey), because of roadworks it routed us onto a far more sensible route.

Nevertheless it still looks like you’re better of with your own stand alone satav with its lifetime maps and traffic included, and let the Boxer's/Fiat's TomTom gather dust, rather than you keep feeding it lots of your money.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:06 am

RV, just check you dont have your TT set to 'shortest route'...it will do some funny things just to save a few metres....you need 'fastest route' to be routed mainly onto fast dual carriageways and Mways.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoleftfeet Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:04 am

Can anyone suggest how I load Europe maps into my dashboard fitted Tomtom on a corinium duo, I arrived in Bilbao last month, tried to load my first stop in only to find it didn’t have Europe maps installed, thankfully google maps on my phone saved the trip
Twoleftfeet
Twoleftfeet

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : corinium duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:16 am

Twoleftfeet wrote:Can anyone suggest how I load Europe maps into my dashboard fitted Tomtom on a corinium duo, I arrived in Bilbao last month, tried to load my first stop in only to find it didn’t have Europe maps installed, thankfully google maps on my phone saved the trip
Can't help I'm afraid.  I gave up using the in-built TomTom navigation system ages ago.  I only use Waze, Google Maps or Apple Maps with my i-phone.  I understand the TomTom App is quite good but I haven't used it.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by justlooking Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:20 am

If anyone's interested I'm selling my TomTom Go 6 inch camper GPS on EBay. Item No 144307459025. Bargain.
justlooking
justlooking

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : IH 630 RL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down