The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prostor awning end caps.

3 posters

Go down

Prostor awning end caps. Empty Prostor awning end caps.

Post by pootler Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:50 am

I have a Prostor awning on a Sussex Duo. Mechanically it seems fine but the paint on the end caps, both on the roll out section and the section fitted to the roof has peeled or is peeling off. Having removed one of the end caps it does appear that the problem is purely cosmetic. I believe that I can purchase replacement parts but things being what they are I was considering repainting them. Therein lies my question. What with? The caps are originally white and I have both Rustoleum and Hammerite white paint available but was wondering how they would work on the cast alloy of the caps. Has anyone any experience or thoughts on the matter?

Thanks
pootler
pootler

Auto-Sleeper Model : sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Prostor awning end caps. Empty Re: Prostor awning end caps.

Post by Roopert Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:54 pm

I've never used Rustoleum, but my experience of Hammerite is that it doesn't adhere very well to cast alloy. Hammerite sell a product called "special metals primer" which I have used on alloy and zinc-plated materials and it seemed to work well,  but I have not been able to get it in aerosol form for a long time. I've never been that good at hand-painting items with Hammerite - I always seem to get visible brush marks.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by pootler Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:44 pm

The problem of how paints react to alloy was my main concern, so your suggestion of the primer for Hammerite is certainly of interest. 
Thank you.
pootler
pootler

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:19 pm

If painting aluminium, there are several unbreakable rules!!
1 Get it to bare metal, and I mean bare
2, and far and away the most important, spray with several coats of ETCH PRIMER, I use UPol from my local motor factors, any etch primer for metal will do tho
3 Let that set 1 hrs (it'll be touch dry in seconds) then spray with whichever car white or colour you choose.IMHO, this is not a job for Hammerite.
4 Leave it all alone for 24 hrs, then spray with several coats of CLEARCOAT, same car shop, leave another 24 hrs then refit.

If you do the above, they'll be better than new!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by pootler Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:07 am

Thanks very much for that.
pootler
pootler

Back to top Go down