The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some advice please...............

5 posters

Go down

Need some advice please............... Empty Need some advice please...............

Post by IanH Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:18 pm

My 2013 Peugeot Boxer, 2.2 130 diesel has a dim warning light on the instrument cluster. It's the next one clockwise from the cruise control "on" light, if fully bright it is water in the fuel filter bowl warning.

This isn't (yet) bright and indeed near impossible to see in daylight, but if passing under trees for example it can be seen.

I know there have been various dim warning lights mentioned on here before but never heard of this one.

I really wouldn't be that concerned if there was water in the filter, easily enough fixed, and, if engine running OK.
Be interested to hear replies.............

Thanks
IanH
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Need some advice please............... Empty Re: Need some advice please...............

Post by Roopert Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:43 pm

As Boxer instrument clusters have a reputation for internal failures that cause other warning lights to light up dimly, I would think this is most likely to just be another manifestation of the same problem in a slightly different form.

A warning light like that is designed to be either on or off so, provided the illumination test when you first turn the ignition on shows full brightness, I wouldn't be worried about it too much if it were mine. I guess longer term the fault may get worse and you might have to get the instrument panel repaired, but it sounds like you may have a while before it's anywhere near bad enough for that.

As a precaution, at next fuel filter change I would try emptying out the complete fuel filter and see if there is any water present - but I would be surprised if there is.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Need some advice please............... Empty Re: Need some advice please...............

Post by Guest Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:35 pm

We had the same problem. We couldn't see it as it was so faint. However it got picked up at the MOT and we had to get it repaired.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:07 pm

Ian
its easy to drain to check if you have any water in the filter
has your van been parked up or have you been driving your van
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:15 am

Thanks Glyne

Has been parked and not much used so possible water, but I think it more likely to be electronic.

I will do as you suggest, this weekend its going more than 100 miles, if there is water that may remove it as well

Water in fuel is inevitable, all hydrocarbon fuels are hygroscopic, you should see the amount we drained from aircraft fuel tanks after just one nightstop!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:34 am

Ian, I presume (because if the age of your vehicle) it's not the instrument cluster problem that many of us had? I would have missed it except for accidentally switching on cruise control when stopped with the ignition turned on. Several random lights came on including one of the direction arrows.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:52 am

I feel/fear you may be correct Tony
MOT not till June 21 so I'll sit back and watch!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Ian
From been park as you have said and why I asked you would have been getting a lot of moisture build up and even more if you don’t have a full tank of fuel so is a good chance you have started up and pulled this into the filter .but will need draining or will do a lot of damage if it goes to the pump and injectors. The wiring has lots of problems from the water coming off the screen and down onto the wires by the ecu . I have had to repair lots of damaged wiring here and is why  I have said about extra drain holes in the grill below the windscreen to help this problem .
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:38 pm

Thanks Glyne
I'll drain it or have it drained.
Usually have tank brim full, but this arrived sorned on trade plates so only got it filled after 4 Aug when taxed.
IMHO all fuel tanks should be as full as poss at all times (particularly winter)
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:08 pm

Our Boxer of the same year had the dashboard lighting fault which was replaced by the dealer. Dash removed and sent away for repair.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down