The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relay click sound

3 posters

Go down

Relay click sound Empty Relay click sound

Post by alanmo Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:46 pm

Hi All,

I have a 2004 Symbol. When parked-up, on EHU, I occasionally hear a single click sound in the cab area (noticeable when I'm sitting on the rotated passenger cab seat). Sounds like a relay (electonics is my day job), and it only happens rarely - maybe once a day, and seems unrelated to anything; nothing being turned on or off. Fridge on mains, leisure battery on charge, hot water may be on but I haven't specifically noted any pattern.  I'm not aware of any faults in the van. It's not especially worrying, but I'm curious.

Anyone else noticed this and offer any explanation?

Thanks in advance.
alanmo
alanmo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Relay click sound Empty Re: Relay click sound

Post by Kyanpinguka Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:16 pm

alanmo wrote:Hi All,

I have a 2004 Symbol. When parked-up, on EHU, I occasionally hear a single click sound in the cab area (noticeable when I'm sitting on the rotated passenger cab seat). Sounds like a relay (electonics is my day job), and it only happens rarely - maybe once a day, and seems unrelated to anything; nothing being turned on or off. Fridge on mains, leisure battery on charge, hot water may be on but I haven't specifically noted any pattern.  I'm not aware of any faults in the van. It's not especially worrying, but I'm curious.

Anyone else noticed this and offer any explanation?

Thanks in advance.
My nearly new Symbol sometimes clicks as the water pressure switch turns the pump on and off to maintain pressure on the system - but the switch is located under the sofa...  It really sounds like a relay, too.
Kyanpinguka
Kyanpinguka

Male

Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmo Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:48 pm

Thanks for your reply. Our pump occasionally turns on too (to maintain pressure) but usually early morning, when it is coldest and the pressure naturally drops, but you can hear the pump running so know exactly what it is.

My enquiry relates to a relay click unaccompanied by any other noticable activity.
alanmo
alanmo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nastorey Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 pm

I have noticed a click in my van and whilst I realise they are not in the cab area, 2 thermostats that might be the cause are fridge and/or water heater.
If you have can monitor mains current, then that might trace easier, or turn off selectively.
nastorey
nastorey

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmo Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:55 am

Ah, hadn't considered these. Brilliant suggestions - and both possibilities. I'll try to follow up on these, the water heater especially since it is nearer my "listening area".

Thanks.
alanmo
alanmo

Male

Back to top Go down